Thursday 31 December 2015

Hogmany 2015


With the winds dropping and the rain passing over into the North Sea I considered it my duty to once more attempt the Matterhorn like slope up the old railway. You can imagine my rejoicing as within seconds of heading west the wind increased and my knees started to scream.  Most of the way I was considering turning back but young ladies walking dogs appeared and I refused to allow myself to prove what a wimp I am.  However once at the top of the slope and past the station itself and with no viewers to be seen I turned back sharpish!  The beauty of struggling up a slope is the joy of rolling back down again.  How lovely it is to be able to look at the world around, the dogs and their owners, enjoy the scenery and instead of puffing like the old engines that once ran along this line ponder on the good life I have now.
I did give thanks that I could ride a bike, after the accident there was a strong likelihood that the leg would be forever straight and never bend!  I gave thanks for sunshine and sky, birds twittering and rabbits hiding, dogs tail wagging and smiling young lassies - which continued to smile as long as I didn't stop!  
Simple things around us are so wonderful yet we ignore them or in this country fail to see them for the rain.  
I pondered the friends around the world - none here but many around the world - how lucky I am to have them, the good things stuffed in the cupboard, the lack of need for anything as I have all I require and enough health to get around.  So many people have lost all their health totally and we think we are in a bad way?  
Today a visitor left me with more gifts, although he forgot the money part, it was a delight to see him.  This interrupted my siesta work researching family history but I can leave all that to next year now.  Indeed all things will be left to next year now - bar the washing up!  At the moment people are looking to the new year except in Queensland where sleeping off the refreshment is more important at the moment therefore as always there is time to review the past year and look forward to the next so we ought to do that now!

6 comments:

carol in cairns said...

May many hogs come home to roost in 2016 Adullaman .. or should that be chickens?

Lee said...

I wish you a very Happy New Year...all year long, Mr. Ad-Man. I hope 2016 is very kind to you...and yes...we are lucky, even with our very minor whinges every now and then. We must always remember just how fortunate we are and wish that others could be so.

Take care...keep smiling (even though the aching muscles from all the bike riding)! :)

the fly in the web said...

You have now given me a New Year nightmare - all of last year's washing up!
Yes,we have much for which to be thankful...it might even stop me moaning and grizzling for a while...

Adullamite said...

Carol, Either would do, I'll eat them!!

Lee, Ta much young lady. I hope we all have a good year this time around.

Fly, I myst get round to doing last years washing up soon also, maybe tomorrow....

Unknown said...

'Tis an awesome sunrise pic you took, my friend. I would wish you to have a very happy 2016, but you won't be having none of that--will you?

Adullamite said...

Jerry, I will if you hang around! You must have a betetr year this time.