Saturday 26 December 2015

Boxing Day Wander


As you can see Boxing Day brought out the crowds!  
Actually this was about 9:30 in the morning and the shops that were open did so at 10 am.  Up at the shopping centre one did open an hour and a half early as people were queueing outside for the so called bargains. I took the free bus up there but saw some crowds but few bargains.  One or two were on offer but far fewer than the advertisements loudly proclaim. 


At the Christmas morning service I did manage to be kissed by several women (not by those under 30 I noticed) and came home fair drookit with the rain that started while I was inside there.  The lunch was waiting almost ready for me and surprisingly not burned as it usually turns out.  The girls at work presented the other volunteers with a bottle of wine but I got two splendid bottles of beer.  It was only as I allowed the nectar like fluid go down easily I noticed it was Belgian beer!  OOPS I thought and checked the bottle, as I thought this stuff is much, much stronger than the usual stuff, good job I didn't start on the second, I had already begun a cheaper type earlier.  However it made watching yet more reruns of 'Top Gear' watchable!  Surprisingly in consideration of what I shoved down my gullet I appear to have lost a couple of pounds.  I think I may need to obtain a new set of scales as the old one may have had enough.  Still the day was satisfactory.



The rain on Christmas Day encouraged me to stay in and simper but early this morning, after nine anyway, I had to get out and get some air.  Wandering around the Sunday quiet streets I managed to take some pictures of things often seen but difficult to capture.  One was the bird that has been placed above the door in the shadow of an overpowering tree.  (It may be some sort of shrub I know not)  This hides the bird and makes it look real to those who just glance as they pass.  Very clever placing.  



The quiet day fools me into thinking it is Sunday when it is actually Saturday, only the football enables me to know the difference.  However with another Sunday tomorrow (the vicar Will be tired by the evening) and a holiday for many on Monday (bar those working in shops or those spending cash) this means yet another quiet day.  I might need to go outside and talk to somebody soon if this continues!  
I was hoping to get on the bike to remove some calories but the weather has made this impossible.  The rain is accompanied by high winds and further north terrible destruction is following on as for the third time huge rainfall is hitting those already suffering from floods.  Five inches of rain expected in 24 hours for them, makes our weather appear pleasant.  However with a week off I might yet get on the bike.  Might...


Still, might as well be happy anyway what sayest thou?







4 comments:

carol in cairns said...

So glad you did it spoil your Christmas dinner Sir. That view from your desk (Still Life with Beer, I will call it) looks almost tropical.

Lee said...

There's no way in the world I'd go out near any stores on Boxing Day...I stayed within my own four walls and just cruised through the day reading, watching the start of the Sydney to Hobart yacht race, a little bit of the cricket and then a movie...very lazy, but very enjoyable.

I'm glad you had a nice Christmas, Mr. Ad-Man. :)

the fly in the web said...

Chimay! I can never remember which is stronger.....the blue or the brown label...and then there are all the breweries...

Leo's family took us to a pub in Leuven where the beer arrived by a pipe from the brewery next door which ran through the bar...

Get yourself over to Belgium and sample the lot....

Adullamite said...

Carol, The pic looks great, it's amazing what effects you get when you press the wrong button!

Lee, That sounds safer! Glad you and the cats enjoyed it.

Fly, I canny mind much now either! I once had a Belgian beer at 14% and suspect many more lie there. You trying to turn me into an alki?