Saturday 5 December 2015

The Last Xmas Shop


Rising early I headed for the big bustling town to find my last present.  Naturally the streets were as full as San Jose in sunny Costa Rica just to make the 'Big Issue' sellers feel at home.  Ten million people blocked my path into 'Waterstones' where I found nothing of any use to me.  Once I get the Book Tokens someone somewhere must send me I will go back and find something however to day it meant a shop trawl.  Nothing but some chicken for the freezer and a book from the Cathedral shop.  Nothing for other people, I suppose that is a successful day shopping!
Those in sunny climes may wish to understand the freezing weather was heightened by a gale blowing through the land.  For reasons of mental breakdown they now give such storms name so this one has been called 'Storm Desmond.'  Dear oh dear.  Could they not call it 'Valhalla' or 'Tempest' or such like?  'Desmond?'  It's like uncle Desmond is passing by not a full blown gale that has wiped out most of Scottish football and wrecked parts of the land.  Tsk!


However much to my delight, and for only a £1 I managed to obtain my Xmas hat.  Now let some bunch of cheery Carol Singers pass by and I'll let them know I'm around!  Already the shop staff are gritting teeth while Xmas music plays, already 'When a child is born' has stuck in my head uncalled for for hours, already elbows and have bruises on them, already Tesco shop staff have got Xmas pullovers to wear!  My hat is the ideal for shop folks and I will wear it will joy on Tuesday!  
However I missed my bus!  Bah!!!


At the Cathedral I noticed the Blue Boar above the unused door and wondered why it was there.  I had not noticed this before and possibly someone has painted it or the colour stood out in the gray around us today.  It appears The De Vere's, Duke of Oxford and lots of other lands, and based up the road in Castle Hedingham was involved in the death of one of the violent English imperialist kings, Richard III.  He was bumped off unceremoniously in 1485 and buried under a nearby car park.  He was uncovered and reburied amongst much fuss and ado this year.  His sign was a  'White Boar' so some bright spark caught a white boar and painted it Blue, now 'Blue Boar' pubs and the like abound, but not in the area where Richard arose.  

Now, where's that mulled wine...?
  

7 comments:

the fly in the web said...

From the sunny climes of Costa Rica let me tell you that there is nothing - well,nothing at the moment - more infuriating than a rendition of Feliz Navidad at top volume in every shop I visit. You need to be supplied with one of those yachting megaphones and an ear trumpet to communicate with the salesgirls.
Oh,and dark glasses against the sun...

Jenny Woolf said...

That Blue Boar needs a bit of TLC, although its blue paint is still pretty bright. It looks as if the market has a bit of a Christmassy feel to it.

The Christmas hat is excellent!

Lee said...

I bought two very nice books for my young grand-niece and grand-nephew (10 years and 8 years old) along with some candy canes and chocolates to go into the parcel as extra treats...and that is that as far as purchasing Christmas presents go for me. I'll post the parcel at the end of this week and it will cost a fortune in postage.

I have no further gifts to buy except perhaps a couple of special treats for my two furry rascals (they'll share some of my fresh seafood, which I've already ordered. I've made my Christmas cakes and one of those I'll give to my ex for Christmas...he loves my fruit cakes.

My Christmas will be very low-key, by choice. As long as I have a pile of seafood, crusty fresh bread,loads of fresh summer fruits, I'm happy. My ex might be coming to share Christmas with me...if not I'll post his cake to him...perhaps I'll eat it, to save on the postage; and then tell him about it!! If he comes up for Christmas I'll put together a couple of large platters of tasty pickings and we'll graze on them throughout the day while sipping on a few drinks...relaxed day with no standing on ceremony, fuss or bother.

Adullamite said...

Jenny, The hat is ideal, and only a pound!

Lee, Kids love getting parcels from far away aunts. I used to get s tuff from Sydney when younger.

Unknown said...

Perhaps negotiating the Christmas shopping crowds might prove a bit more fun for you if you fantasize about making a mad run down the pitch through the opposing defense while having no worries over picking up another red card this season.

Adullamite said...

Jerry, I never get red cards, I always behave......

Adullamite said...

Fly,Spanish speakers have a desire for loud noise I note. They talk loud, gesticulate and turn up the volume.