Thursday 9 March 2017

Thursday


Nothing happened today except the sun shone.
Just imagine, sun and blue sky, daffodils reflecting the sun while they wave in the wind, seagulls bothering folks in the park while they chase food scraps (seagulls not the people), and another inkling of Spring in the air.
However I did nothing.
I do that very well.


This afternoon however was taken up wandering through the shops to find a gift card for my great niece.  If only 'Poundland' did them!  I finally found one (Primark) that would suit an 18 year old though I believe booze was on her list also.  Whether it was on her list or her mothers who informed me of this I am unsure but these folks don't behave in the seemly manner in which I spent my youth.
What?...oh!


Having said that I am reminded of the (near empty) bottle of Armagnac Brandy that has been lying about for a year or two.  I thought I had better ensure it was fit for purpose and indeed it is!  Such smooth brandy has never before bee invented.  How lovely this stuff is.  How low the level in the bottle...now.
During the Great War General Haig, then the Commander-in-Chief of the British Army was being constantly pestered by General Joffre the avuncular French top man.  He would arrive at Haig's door blustering about the situation and demanding action in a near hysterical demeanour.   Haig, though from the 'Haig whisky' family, rarely drank much but when confronted by a demanding Joffre would reach for his best Brandy and supply copious amounts to the eager General. By the time Joffre headed for his car he had agreed in principle to everything Haig required.  
I might try this with some folks I know...



6 comments:

Suza said...

beautiful pctures. I like most the wonderful spring flowers. Enjoy the evening

Kay G. said...

Ah, I love to gaze at the daffodils. Richard would join you for the brandy!

Lee said...

Boy! It's many years since I've had Armagnac! And it's a lovely drink...so, so smooth.

Lee said...

PS...I bought a bottle of Dimple Haig for myself before Christmas. I've not yet opened the bottle, let alone had any. I've a bottle of Johnny Walker Black that's been sitting on the shelf for about six or so years...and it's only had two nips taken from it. I should get my act together!!!

the fly in the web said...

My father used to reckon that Haig whisky had killed more men than Haig the general...he was not a fan of it.

Adullamite said...

Suza, The back light is great!

Kay, Keep Richard away from my Brandy!!!

Lee, It is very smooth, and appears to have run out...

Lee, 'Dimple' was always one of the expensive whiskies. I never had it!

Fly, You have put me off it now...