Tuesday 30 July 2013

The Silly Season is Well Under Way



With the politicians on holiday, most likely claiming expenses for the trip, the newsworthy items that dominate the papers drops away.  The media desperately fill their pages with dross, sometimes interesting, mostly dross. Today we read of the contents of a footballers suitcase, the charges Amazon is adding, expensive houses or boats and as many sex stories and deaths as they can find.  Holiday reading indeed!  
This of course limits the excuses to rant about unfairness, bad government and other nasty goings on that would not occur if people made me the nations favourite tyrant.  Sadly that position has not yet been offered to me, but I live in hope.

So I am digging out the old photos, that one above taken along the coast near Mallaig in 1985 I reckon, and reading some of the booklets I brought back from the museum today.  I had them on the desk in front of me to read but people kept coming in!  I had no chance to read, if it wasn't kids doing the Medieval week it was folks phoning to book for a future workshop.  Tsk!  Some folks don't care do they?  The kids however love what they do, and that's really good.  


I have also spent much of the last few days attempting to remove an unwelcome visitor, 'webcake.'  This, and several others, came in when I downloaded a supposedly virus free item from 'CNET.'  I failed to read the 'terms and conditions,' who does read them, and there CNET insist you accept webcake.  This horrid brute offers you pop-up ads, blocks the connection on browsers to the proxy connection and takes ages to remove.  In the end, having run malwares, Avast, Spybot, I used this advice and by using 'ADW' and 'JRT,' i managed to remove most.  It may well be I have lost other things also but so far not much has gone wrong.  Oh yes, a bit remained even so and I left the machine on overnight as 'Windows Defender' ran through everything, taking ELEVEN HOURS to complete the job, but the last nasty left.  Or at least I hope so.  It is not a Virus, but Adware, Malware possibly, and it slows the machine, annoys you if 'ADBlockPlus' is not used and should be banned I say.  That's the last time I use CNET.  On one of my email accounts I have suddenly began to receive 60-100 spam a day offering me 'enlargement!' Tsk! With that account it is difficult to hinder spam, but I am getting rid of that slowly.  

Always wise to run checks on the PC weekly, especially after adding software.



10 comments:

Lee said...

Some folk are just too inconsiderate for their own good! ;)

I, too, won't be using CNET again...because I got some kind of virus or such when a downloaded Solitaire the other day from CNET...and then I spend half of Monday morning just past getting rid of the damn thing!! Grrrrrr! Qvo6 it was called! So watch out for it...it latches onto the browser and just won't let go easily!

Syed Hassan Ramadhan said...

I agreed with you about spending time with the politician are wasting our time and money.

Jenny Woolf said...

Was watching that programme the other night about online dating, have started to get paranoid in case my personal details are being used by the Russians who spend all their lives putting together fake profiles to lure in romance hungry punters.

Gerry Hatrić said...

A little tip re adware if all else fails. When the ad appears, right-click to find the domain name of the link, eg. adnx.com. Then as administrator, edit \windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts and add a line like:
127.0.0.1 adnx.com

This sends effectively hides the adware domain, rendering the thing useless.

Adullamite said...

Syed, Welcome.

Jenny, It is a worry, I married you twice!

Bob, You can make money by supplying anti bad boys stuff! That is your future, and it will give so much cash your women will still have some left over.

Unknown said...

Alas, I have failed to uncheck all of the boxes when downloading some free something a few times. It sure flies in the face of the old adage about one getting what they pay for. Of course, since it was being offered for free, there is probably some legal loophole allowing for grief to be included without requiring a disclosure. (Um, do any of those enlargement offers look like a big deal?)

Adullamite said...

Jerry, Looks like I will be checking more carefully now. Those ads of course were things I have no need to investigate.....

Dave said...

Like you I too ended up with Webcake after downloading a recommended programme from a known [and trusted] website. It also attached a pop up for computer repair everytime I opened Google Chrome, so I ended up having to uninstall Webcake and its associated programmes and also Google Chrome.

the fly in the web said...

You get my vote as the nation's favourite tyrant....which nation would you like?

Adullamite said...

Dave, Welcome. I am still using chrome, but CNET have clearly gone for cash with webcake. I will not use them again.
Your picture site is excellent, I love those cars!

Fly, Any that is warm, has gold and women to do the ironing.