Sunday 7 July 2013

I was here today.....



Another epic journey of four miles and 35 chains, and back again!  Wot?  A 'chain' is a measurement used on railways, and in other engineering works, it measures 66 feet, or 22 yards, or 100 links, or 4 rods.  10 chains equal a furlong, 8 furlongs a mile.  Railway distances are measured in miles and chains from the starting station.  Each object, bridge, station etc, is listed as so many miles and chains from the starting point. By inquiring in my book on this railway line I can tell I cycled around this distance.  The doubtful bit is me getting to the line which takes a few minutes.  So today I went a mere 9 miles, almost!  This 'Halt' was added to the railway to encourage passengers during the twenties.  Bus travel was hitting the railway money, which was never strong, and folks walking the half mile from the village would hail the train, climb the steps lowered  by the guard, and go their way. 


How it was done. No doubt 'Health and Safety' would stop this now!


Early morn but the sun was already high and I made several attempts to capture the light rays coming through the gaps in the trees.  The problem was the sun was too bright, something the camera and I are not used to dealing with.  Out of the treeline the sun made everything too bright to capture easily.




The brickwork on Victorian bridges is much admired however every so often a weakness arises.  Possibly this one took cracks from bad weather, rain turning to ice and over time developing cracks that threatened to collapse.  Only one house lies over the bridge, a farm, so what passes can be quite heavy even though the road is only occasionally used.  The repair will hold it up, no doubt for years, and also allow people to pass safely.  However it is not worthy of the original architecture, but it will be cost effective and safe.


Naturally real life returned during Andy Murray becoming the first SCOTTISH Player to win at Wimbledon.  The brats over the road have somehow managed to make something catch fire. Who knows what it was, I could not see for the trees, but these firemen will have a busy time in the sun, there is always someone setting dry haystacks on fire somewhere around here.  Tsk! 


.

6 comments:

Lee said...

Yep! Murray finally did it. I watched the game...of course! Even Ivan Lendl cracked a smile at the end of it! Lendl has done his job well with Murray. Murray managed a hint of smile somewhere along the line.

The Poms won't allow the Scots too many accolades. It's been 77 years in the making. And what a massive crowd!!! It was incredible.

Murray climbed up into his box to hug all in his team, and he almost left again, having forgotten his mother!!!

Congratulations to him! One can only imagine how he must feel.

The Brits had a good weekend. The British and Irish Lions clinched their first series win in 16 years when they whopped the Wallabies 41-16 in the third Test in Sydney on Saturday night. There was no half measures there!

Great photos...you make me feel guilty. I must remember to take my camera with me next time I'm out and about...I must!

the fly in the web said...

Is that a fireman in shorts!
Whatever will health and safety have to say about that...

Adullamite said...

Lee, Indeed you must always carry a wee camera with you at all times. It's fun!

Fly, Imagine you noticing that? It may well be uniform but these are all 'retained' firemen, that is part time and always on call around this area.

Unknown said...

I like my version of your epic journey a lot better. For I have 34 bicycle chains breaking under the strain of your torrid pace.

It is wonder that you are not a big fan of tennis. For the boys wear short pants on the court, and the girls do like to grunt a lot.

By the way, I gave you a very honorable mention in my Come Monday... for today. So, there!

Jenny Woolf said...

Wonderful spot. I can remember going on one or two old lines when they were still in operation. They were magical too.

Who is this Andy Murray everyone keeps talking about by the way?

Adullamite said...

Jerry, i'd rather not think about you on a bike thanks!

Jenny, Andy M is the British man in the English press, although he would be Scots had he lost.