Saturday 20 July 2013

Silly Season



I blame the 'silly season' and the sun!  Nothing much is running through my head these days. Nothing new anyway.  The sun (how I love it!) has shone continuously until today and burned the brain cells, hindered sleep at night (not that the sun shines here at night) and left an undercurrent of weary brain.  Not that this makes much of a change you say, but add to this the end of parliament throughout the western world for the holidays and major news stories tend to die away as the politicians holiday with either families, girlfriends or those who will line their pockets or improve their parliamentary careers.  The papers fill this with tales of islands, boats, houses and the like up for sale.  This is to make the reader jealous of how multi millionaires live. This will encourage them to buy lottery tickets in the vain hope of emulating the rich, several lotteries are advertised on TV these days alongside the National Lottery.  If jealousy or celebs divorces do not provide enough 'bread and circus' for the masses the media will offer health advice, even if dubious, and lots of stories of women's sufferings, trauma and pain.  All to keep the people docile.


Everything appears a little flat round here, even the shows were not very busy, the local market unexciting and daily routine is the order of the day.  The TV is of course rubbish, although watching the 'Tour de France' had its moments.  Another 'Brit' as the press insist on calling him, will win it tomorrow.  That's two years running, although it was a different man last year.  The Golf is continuing in the usual ponderous golf manner, the commentators just want to mention Tiger Woods or any 'Brit,' as usual.  Any controversy however will be exaggerated into a major story, as they do.  Never been that keen on golf, another rich mans sport in spite of being Scottish in origin.   Yet while the first signs of the new football season have sprung up I am far from excited.  The close season is to short for me these days, I long for a three month break to make the mind desperate for a return to life on the pitch.  We are back too soon and even worse, the season ahead will be a long hard one for us.  Success is assured, but struggle will ensue.  And I am too keen on more hot weather to consider rain drenched football!

Maybe I need a holiday?  Texas, Singapore, Maldives or India.  Possibly Portugal or Argentina beckon.  Hmm, I think I will just look out the bus pass instead........

Oh and a word re the Liquorice Allsorts, I have chipped a tooth, I think they weakened it......  


.

7 comments:

Lee said...

Again...I'm not rich. I have never been rich, but I did, once, use to play golf. I've not done so for about 12 years now. I wasn't rich 12 years ago, either!

You didn't mention Down Under as a holiday choice, Adullamite! I'm hurt to the core of my heart!

And a Merry Christmas in July to you! ;)

Jenny Woolf said...

I have found it too hot lately. And now it is cooler, it is too cold fro my taste. But then I am never satisfied.

Unknown said...

You-all sure seem to have a lot of silly seasons. By the way, there has never been a case where licorice has chipped a tooth when consumed in the proper manner. It sounds like liquorice should be banned in the interest of good public health.

red dirt girl said...

Texas is as hot as the blazes this time of year .... best wait until fall. Then you can attend "the nuptials" :)

And golf. Strange world. Had a customer today who talked about watching Tiger Woods on TV. My customer complained that Tiger was not wearing his advertised 'Tag Heurer' watch ...??? I suggested perhaps Tiger did not want to get it scratched ??!!! (Probably forgot it on some bimbo's nightstand ... ;)

xxx

Adullamite said...

Lee, The Aussies wouldn't let me in.....!

Jenny, You are a woman!
Mind you I am cold today also........

Jerry, LIQUORICE!

RDG, Ah the nuptials in the fall! I hope customs let him through! He plays golf and all someone notices is his watch...?

soubriquet said...

Good lord! she's contracting out the nuptuals? I thought I had the sole contract for that!

Adullamite said...

Soub, Contract??? Hold on, I haven't signed anything, have I?????