Tuesday 9 July 2013

Silly Season Approaches



The papers this morning were unable to share the same headline.  The problem is Wimbledon is over, holidays are beginning, Parliament is looking to the break and no major bill will be fought over until the Autumn, and the media begin to despair as to what to write.  Certainly there is the usual EU courts ruling, a murder or two, a famous person arrested and all that sort of thing but no major story.  The birth of the royal baby (yawn) will fill the media in a short time we read, pull out sections being readied as we speak, commemorative tat being unpacked in shops throughout the land, and miserable old gits wishing Wimbledon was back as even that was better!  Not that I am one to complain you understand....

My uncomplaining nature, my kind heart, my willingness to help, all came to the fore when I wandered in to the museum to return a book I had wasted my time with.  By the time I had left I had volunteered for three Tuesday shifts in a row.  The term 'volunteer' ought to be used 'army style' at this point.  I said "Morning," and she said, "Oh good and if you can do it next week and i'll put you down for three weeks......" and I was shoved out the door!  I sat in the park for fifteen minutes getting a bit red (maybe I ought to get some sun cream as this sun thing might be here for a few days more?) and cogitated on how women twist folks round their finger.  Men don't behave like this.  Men are always thoughtful and considerate I find.  
What?.........oh!

    .

5 comments:

alan1704 said...

Still you can watch the Ashes and see us beat the Aussies at cricket!

Unknown said...

Alas, if only they had Wal-Marts there. For you sound completely qualified to be a front-door greeter, which would be an honorable way for you to pay your debt to society.

Adullamite said...

Alan, Two weeks of tennis and now cricket....?

Jerry, I would indeed 'greet' as a greeter!

Lee said...

And now we've got the cricket...but I won't be staying up at all hours to watch it...it's a bit like watching the grass grow...except the grass grows quicker!

Adullamite said...

Lee, Cricket? That's an English game.....