Sunday 14 July 2013

The Quiet Early Morning



At 6:30 the morning is very quiet, especially on a Sunday.  Rattling along on the bike I could listen to the birds singing as I headed up the Matterhorn like incline at three miles an hour.  Someone, slightly fitter than me raced past at five miles an hour, giving a grudging nod in my direction as he did so.  I noticed how he slumped down to three miles an hour further up however.  There is something blissful in such an early morn.  The silence, even the by-pass was relatively quiet, the birds singing or chasing one another through the trees, the lack of people, especially brats, the warmth of the sun as it climbs high and brightens the world.  All such a change from the vehicles outside my door, the numpty with 'Rap' blasting out his open window as he passes, people stopping to converse at my window enthralling me no end with tales of the sore feet and liver troubles,  the helicopters that must pass over my house and now I turn the telly on I am confronted by another bloody cook and to avoid this I meet with adverts!!!  Now I am not one to complain as you know, but really does my weekend need ruined by such as this, especially when there is no football?  

I apologise for keeping you waiting and I apologise for using so many words!!!!!


8 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah, but you were actually zipping along at 4.83 KPH! It is good that you are such a skilled and experienced rider. For at that torrid pace, splattered bug guts on the windscreen on your bee's bonnet would have completely obscured your vision in a matter of hours!

the fly in the web said...

I'll be careful how I comment, given your 'nemo me impune lacessit' photograph on this post....

but my morning was far from quiet...the last day of the Test Match and well worth getting up at an unearthly hour to listen to it.

Adullamite said...

jerry, KPH? wotsthat? Speak English man.

Fly, Scotland played a test match?

Lee said...

It's good to have your verbose self back, Adullamite!

Manchester United arrived in Sydney yesterday...perhaps you'd better hop on your bike and get down here by Saturday when they'll be playin the A-League All Stars.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/football/bedevilled-by-setbacks-but-united-plan-to-put-on-a-show-20130714-2pxsw.html


http://www.news.com.au/sport/football/manchester-united-arrive-in-sydney-to-low-key-welcome/story-fndkzvnd-1226679169424

soubriquet said...

The Matterhorn?
Does Essex actually have something with a discernible gradient?

----The things you learn via Google: The Highest Point in Essex is a dizzying 480 feet above sea level.

soubriquet said...

KP is a brand of peanuts. KPH is a rate of peanut consumption.

Have you been watching the Tour De France, I am wondering, it's always a sobering sight for a flatland cyclist like me.
Since old Lance left, I understand they aren't permitted to fill up on chemical speed boosters, I wonder if a can of beans provides jet assistance on the alpine climbs?

Adullamite said...

Lee, Man U? I never watch the little teams.

Soub, Indeed until I got a bike I thought it was flat also!
Every round the postmen put me on had hills, no wonder my knees ached. Except the last round, that was flat, but too late.

Soub, The fabulous hill they climbed yesterday tired me out just looking at it. What a climb. I heard someone call it Mont Blanc 2 or some such, whether it has been given that name I know not, but what a climb and he raced up it.
The French now talk about drugs.....

Lee said...

I never watch any of the teams, Adullamite...big, little or in between. Soccer aka football doesn't interest me much, if at all.

They should all man up and play Rugby League! ;)