Thursday 4 July 2013

Problems, Problems....




Problems indeed but not for me.  The woman next door fell through her kitchen floor again.  It has been repaired once but she managed to do it again.  This made her somewhat unhappy, although it was just her foot, no damage was done, and she failed to go through the ceiling below.  Our handyman boys came round, two bodgers hardworking lads, and fixed it this afternoon while she sat and sulked watching dumbed down telly.  This is a young couple who have a lot to learn about living in the real world.  No doubt they come from decent homes where all things were in good condition, this however is rent-a-flat-land, the real world if you like.  You get the best you can but it is never going to be what your dreams desire.  The chances of them ever buying a house is remote, you require around £150,000 at least and both need to be earning about £20,000 annually to obtain this.  No chance around here.  I wonder however if they will still be together in twelve months time anyway.  Kids today eh?

After fixing this little problem the boys noticed the first step at the bottom of the stairs was a bit damaged, this was quickly fixed.  (The phrase 'a bit damaged,' is not quite literal) While doing this the floor sagged somewhat also and on investigation the discovery of a leaky pipe resulted.  A slim crack had appeared on the joining bolt which was allowing water to gush out.  Naturally I was concerned - it might have been mine!  As it belonged to the downstairs chap I relaxed, awaiting his reading of his next water bill, just to see if he notices!  

So an afternoon was spent making tea for the workers, she wouldn't as she was in a huff, refusing to even offer a black bag for the rubbish, and I took the poor souls in for a break.  Mind you I have known them 20 years and have offered them many broken bits of this flat to repair, sometimes they have done this properly, sometimes I have to remind them that window is still stuck from the outside.  The landlord continues to drive his new Bentley, one of two I believe, having allowed all the Jaguars to rest awhile in the garage.  It sounds rough and ready here but it isn't really.  When I despair of accommodation and dream of a three bedroomed place with a sea view and a small garden I consider the places I lived before, at least one of which is no longer a slum -being torn down and rebuilt!  In many parts of the world people live in tin shacks made out of oil drums, and in North Korea they have Stalinist flats - only if the obey!  Now as the sun shines in revealing the inch of dirt on the window, I am content having a bright room, food inside, and internet contact with the real world.  A real world that has recently shown me several very nice friends indeed. 

Not a lot of people have such as this.     



.

7 comments:

Lee said...

What a selfish lass not getting up off her butt to make tea for the workers who were doing their best to make her life easier!

I also often dream (probably every day) of a home of my own somewhere by the sea...nothing big; not a palace; even if I won heaps in the Lotto I wouldn't buy a mansion on a hill. Just a little house on a hill with ocean or water views would suit me fine. My and my two furry four-legged rascals don't need a huge house.

I, too, am a renter. My abode of the past 11 years is a small two-room cabin. It's not flash, but like you say...it's a million times better than what some in this world live in and have to deal with; or the unfortunate others who are homeless entirely.

And, like you, my cupboards (and fridge) are filled with food and I have all the comforts and toys I need; and friends who would still like me no matter what...

Unknown said...

Okay, I'll bite. What is it that not a lot of people have such of?

the fly in the web said...

You're right.

When I was first in Costa Rica I would see shacks made of galvanised sheets where people were squatting land.
From these dirt floored shacks would emerge schoolkids and workers in immaculate clothing...how they did it I have no idea...they could give me a few tips, I reckon.

Now those shacks have been replaced with 'proper' houses...through the hard work of the occupants and a society where it is still possible to get a foot on the ladder.

Adullamite said...

Lee, Yes that wee house by the sea......

Jerry, Well you for a start!

Fky, Costa Ricans have more chance than folks here!

soubriquet said...

Me too, a renter, with a noisy upstairs neighbour and a damp mouldy cellar.

But, as you say, that's riches, when I was a kid, we had to live in a hole in the road and eat gravel for breakfast....

About a mile away, there's a row of shops ina rather unsalubrious area. In a doorway of an unoccupied shop, there's a homeless person. He's been there years. An asian guy, probably mentally ill, he shakes a lot, at a guess, I'd say he's in his forties. I once gave him an old quilt, and a piece of waterproof tarpaulin. I know there are hostels, outreach workers, and maybe he doesn't need to live on the street, but when I drive past, on a cold rainy night, going home to heat,warmth, shelter, plenty of food.... and a hot bath, believe me, I'm grateful for my privileged life.

Adullamite said...

Aye the old boy is a problem. In London I knew a bloke who slept in Kensington Gardens as he couldn't stay indoors. A bit of a tough guy, and he looked tough, he was OK with me but had problems. Some years later I saw what I think was him well dressed outside another church so maybe he came with help there (they had more resources). Your boy may find being inside difficult.

Adullamite said...

Aye the old boy is a problem. In London I knew a bloke who slept in Kensington Gardens as he couldn't stay indoors. A bit of a tough guy, and he looked tough, he was OK with me but had problems. Some years later I saw what I think was him well dressed outside another church so maybe he came with help there (they had more resources). Your boy may find being inside difficult.