Tuesday 23 July 2013

Haunting History




The word Haunting put me off when I first noticed this, however it is used in a non ghost manner, more or less.  This week the kids are expected to look around and investigate the ancient world, both locally and abroad.  The Celtic tribes, Romans and Egypt kept them going this morning.  I spent a while watching them while discussing local history with a chap who came into the museum to see one particular aspect, when I found him in a dark corner he had not got around to the bit he was looking for, he was so involved with his own past he discovered in front of him!  That was really good!  This museum adventure was good today.  I only upset one fellow who was a wee bit full of himself, and got on well with all the folks I spoke to.  
Now that's news!  
One poor kid decided to be sick during the Kite Making session, so while the tutor instructed the others in flying kites I was sloshing about with a mop and bucket!  I was like a janitor in school!
The mums in attendance were all used to such events, it goes with having kids.
I really enjoyed finding out how the kids liked the things on offer.  One or two are brats but the majority today were interested, and many are returning for other activities.  How unusual, a successful day, in spite of thunderstorms and pouring rain!  
No other news in the UK today I see....... 

.

8 comments:

Lee said...

It sounds like you had a pleasant day, not upset by thunder, pouring rain, a couple of brats or an up-himself-fellow.

Just a usual day. There's always a couple in a crowd...even on a sunny day! ;)

Unknown said...

That sounds like a great thing. Perhaps I really am as stupid as I sound much of the time, but I think kids would have a lot more interest in history if the teachers would try to do a better job of showing how it directly effected them. I would think that this would be easy back there. For every square inch of the British Isles has seen dramatic changes over the centuries, and there would be helping young Johnny and Jill to realize that their lives might be quite different if their great grandfather had not fought in such and such battle.

Relax Max said...

It's heartwarming to see how involved you've become in England's history.

Adullamite said...

Lee, I always manage to find one awkward customer, it couldn't be me could it....?

Jerry, Indeed it was a good morning. History teaching is poor although the man in charge has just demanded a thorough change which should teach a better range of history than before, although England's imperialism will still be ignored.

Max, I am willing to instruct them in the TRUTH of history, instead of the lies previously taught....

Unknown said...

Speaking of such, my dear Adullamite, Arlynda wanted to see the episode of TLC's "Who Do You Think You Are?" with Kelly Clarkson, and it blew her mind when her mom knew about Andersonville, which was a Confederate POW camp with unspeakable horrors to the extreme. Alas, it is a good thing that the girl can really sing, and it is a wonder that she can remember the words to more than one of her songs at a time.

Adullamite said...

Jerry, The past can unsettle is if we are not used to investigating it.

Jenny Woolf said...

Some kids always manage to get sick. Did you have one like that in your class at school? I don't know how they did it.

Adullamite said...

Jenny, Most kids at my school were 'sick!'