Monday 8 July 2013

It's Five in the Morning.....



And I am taking pictures of the rising sun shining in on the cupboard!  Summer is here again today!  For several days the sun has shone, the heat is high, the parks full of white bloated creatures turning blotchy red.  The northern breeze is welcomed by some lying there surrounded by plastic drinks bottles as swifts race across the light blue sky, dogs sniff for one another in the grass and adolescents avoiding school avoid the litter bins situated right next to them with equal lack of guilt.     

I wandered out to buy a couple of reduced price shirts.  It appears the shirts in the cupboard, some of which go back many years, have begun to shrink somewhat.  Quite why this strange phenomenon should occur I know not but it has happened before, around a dozen years ago.  At that time I required shirts for the work in which I was engaged, whatever that was, so obtained the regular cheap shirts (made in China) and by wearing one on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, and the other on Tuesday and Thursday I made it through with little effort in washing and ironing and nobody noticing.  Of course a summer like this one and they might have noticed by Thursday mind.  So, that's two cheap shirts that fit, these are the er, XL type (Made in Scotland!).


I spent a decent amount of time early today informing the English press that Andy Murray is not 'British' as they emphasised continually, but he is Scottish!  Each and every English media outlet had made determined efforts to ignore his nation and use the word 'British' at all times.  Occasionally the word 'Scot' might break through, but this was tokenism at best.  The fact that the world considers 'England' to be 'Britain' is reinforced by this blatant English racism.  Such was the effect that the 'New York Times,' one of the colonial newspapers, tweeted "After 77 years Murray and England rule."  Sadly I was not able to answer this at the time, the FBI would be here by now if I had!  Others indicated their mistake and they amended things quickly.  The English media are desperate to claim Andy as 'British' to live off his glory, not unusual for them as the best 'English' are usually foreign.
Some of the commentators in the pages of the 'newspapers' in which I made clear my opinion resisted stoutly my gentle reminders of their imperialist racism, at least those of my comments that the papers published that is.  For some reason these appear to believe we live in a 'United Kingdom,' while at the same time putting down Scotland.  One day they will learn.
Anyway, congratulations to Andy Murray on winning the Wimbledon Championship, the first Scotsman since Harold Mahoney in 1896.  
'Lang may yer lum reek son!'


7 comments:

the fly in the web said...

So you are behind all the comments I'm reading on Murray being a Scot....

You were wise to avoid the New York Times...what with extradition treaties and the English judiciary brown nosing anything the U.S. wants you could well be in the orange jumpsuit being waterboarded by now...

Unknown said...

Methinks that he should don a kilt for all future matches, and then we'll see if the English press still wants him to be British!

Lee said...

Only when it suits, Adullamite! Only when it suits!

'Tis Andy Murray being presently claimed as being a Pom in the eyes of the English press...only when it suits!

Where is William Wallace when he's needed??

soubriquet said...

Send 'em all back, I say, and rebuild the wall.

I've never much cared who wins at wimbledon, and I've never wanted to watch. Watching is, of course, to some event, inevitable, for instance, I go to my lunchtime cafe, and the television is on, and two people in white are facing each other across a net.
And the commentator is talking in hushed tones, this is the number three seed, ranked number seventeen in the world. I have no idea what that means, other than we're watching the acknowledged experts here. POK! the guy hits the ball, and it hits the net. POK! same again. Best in the world and still hitting the net?
Good thing these blokes aren't competitive parachutists, with that hit and miss record.
Splok! "And Richardson , ranked third in the world, just failed to pull his ripcord. There'll be a short delay while they scrape him off the runway...."

Jenny Woolf said...

I like early mornings. The sun doesn't come in to our bedroom in the mornings which I slightly regret although guess I prefer to have it in the living room really.
Well done to Andy Murray though I did make a point of not watching Wimbledon, and usually don't watch, it's too nail biting and compulsive.

Adullamite said...

Fly, Yes that orangebrown suit is popular over there.

Jerry, There are women that asked for this it appears....

Lee, Ah Willie Wallace, he would sort them out.

Jenny, Sun in the living room in the mornings is delightful!

Adullamite said...

Soub, Normally I am with you here!