Wednesday 20 July 2016

Flowers, Football and Fullish Moon


The wee 'I sell anything' shop next door ought to have been doing a roaring trade with his flowers today.  Blazing sun, record temperatures, and near naked sweltering peoples passing by all day.  he may have been better selling cold drinks mind you.
Nothing I like better than blue sky and hot sun.  However as a few weeks ago the thing appeared and I spent a mere 30 minutes burning myself I find my skin has not yet recovered properly.  The sun is far hotter than I thought!  These few days it has been even hotter and most of the time I have avoided it.  Those lying about the park will have problems in days to come.
The main problem is we are not used to it.  Therefore when the sun comes we jump into it and we burn.  In hot societies they avoid the heat of the day and work in the cool times.  This nation is not bright enough for that.  
It is however becoming nearer the norm tomorrow and rain and hail have fallen not far north of here and of course Scotland lies under a cloud again.


What is it about clouds that fascinates me?  Later this afternoon these chaps arrived bubbling up high overhead.  I think it is the sheer size of them, nothing but accumulated moisture I suppose but stretching for thousands of feet up into the air and on occasion reaching for hundreds or thousands of miles into the distance.  I am not one who sees a cloud shaped like the Bank of England then rushes to send a picture to the 'Daily Mail,' in fact I would rather just enjoy watching them pass by.  On my last flight from Edinburgh many years ago the cloud covered quite a large chunk of the voyage and at times there were strange shapes cutting through the cloud for no obvious reason.  This in my little head was fascinating to watch.
I think I may need help....

 
I did sit for ten minutes when some cloud was above us earlier and wondered about those who choose to kick a ball while the majority slumber.  I understood them of course but what went through my mind was the thought in their heads 'I could have made it!'  All the while they of course know they could not but the dream does not die, not even at my age (27).

 
The best effort of this camera cannot improve on this picture of the moon.  The moon needs to come closer but refuses.  I took this the other night when it was somewhat cooler and I was desperate to take a picture of anything different.  This being a small town not much changes and photo opportunities are rare.  The bright weather offers sum but when you have seen everything before the desire is to be further afield.  In fact it would have been good to be in London where Mo manages to get shots like this!  Not possible for me at the moment as I have been clearing out rubbish.  It is incredible what lies in drawers untouched for decades.  Some things date back to the days when I moved here and others are so old they are almost worth sending to the museum.
The recycled folks will be pleased with me on Friday when they collect the stuff however! 

10 comments:

Mo said...

Cor thanks for the kind comments. Your not alone in cloud watching. I even have a book on cloud watching, how sad is that!

Mo said...

Oh and watch your skin, didm;t you just catch up on the latest research stating Scottish skin (or any red-haired nation) are the most likely to get skin cancer. Slap on the sun screen.

Adullamite said...

Mo, Not sad in any way!

Mo, Too late!

the fly in the web said...

I like watching clouds too...and up here we often look down on the things before they creep up the hillside and engulf us...

Kay G. said...

The purple and white flowers are cosmos, we have them here! (You must have stolen them from us!)

Lee said...

Beautiful moon and beautiful blooms!

Adullamite said...

Kay, No, I think you sold them at a high price!!

Lee, beautiful, just like me.

Adullamite said...

Fly, Are these Scots clouds?

carol in cairns said...

Clouds, skies, moons ~ once that was all philosophers like yourself had (no inter webs)

Adullamite said...

Carol, What more do we need, bar interweb, food, someone to do the ironing...