Saturday 2 July 2016

O.A.P.


I couldn't take it any more.
The red eyes this morning told a story.
Breakfast was poor.
Weather was windy.
The item I bought early on did not fit.
The trip I planned fell through.
I reviewed my life.
The years of stupid actions.
The mistakes.
The failings.
The time I stood among Hibernian fans instead of the Heart of Midlothian fans and cheered a goal.
The failings with women, "psst missus, fancy coming up and ironing my shirts?"
Failure in the hospital, "You cut off what when shaving the man?"
The failure at work, "I disagree boss..."
The failure at writing begging letters and end up sending them money.
I sat in the cupboard and downed cyanide tablets but they were out of date.
I went to drink turpentine but there was non.
The razor blades don't work.
There was nothing for it but the river.
So attached to an aged mill stone I jumped in, you can just make out the ripples.

I am 65 today.   


 

8 comments:

carol in cairns said...

Wow! Happy Birthday Sir. I do hope it was a good day on your birthday, after taking a walk and writing poetry.

the fly in the web said...

A mere boy....stick around; literate bloggers are rare.

Kay G. said...

Oh, I am a day late wishing you HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Hope you will still celebrate it today.
Sixty five! Hey, be glad you made it and are able to walk around, I say! Take care, Ad-man!

Jenny Woolf said...

Sixty five! I'm afraid a Giant Galapagos Tortoise wouldn't be the slightest bit impressed! Apply again in another 65 years' time, please.

Jenny Woolf said...

Oh, did I say, belated happy birthday?

Lee said...

A very Happy Birthday to you, Mr. Ad-Man! I hope you enjoyed it to your utmost. You're a spring rooster, my man! :)

Lee said...

PS...A word of advice...you'd have more luck with the ladies if you didn't mention "ironing". You're going to have to re-think your pick-up line! :)

Adullamite said...

Carol, A poet? I didn't know it.

Fly, 'A mere boy,' how lovely.

Kay, You are so right, I can just walk around.

Jenny, Compared to a Galapagos Tortoise? That's a new one. Another 65...?

Jenny, Thank you! xx

Lee, Old Grouse is more appropriate I'm told. xx

Lee, But that's what they were made for....?