Wednesday 30 September 2015

Pier at this...


I have spent much time recovering from carrying bags of vegetables, fruit and other healthy eatables home by listening to Radio 4 Extra much of the day.  Especially those fifteen minute programmes on real people doing real things.  I like those.  A new old one began about people who have saved old piers and run them mostly on a voluntary basis.  These piers abounded in seaside resorts allowing folks to catch steamers to view the coast or just to parade back and forward showing yourself off to the masses.  Blackpool famously started one but the day trippers from the Mills and Mines of Lancashire irked the middle classes and they had to build a second one further up and charge a shilling a go instead of sixpence down where the common loot were to be found.  The commoners drank a lot, the ground leading onto the pier had been 'donated' by the publican who owned it and his pub sat near the entrance, how convenient.  He made a fortune and the goings on further out, dancing and hedonism, were not what 'decent people' wished to see.  They kept that sort of thing to themselves and their diaries like what decent folks do.
I am not sure rebuilding a pier and attempting to keep it running would interest me but walking along one at Swanage earlier was interesting.  The sights of the sea, boats of all sorts, sunshine and the sea waving back at me were very enjoyable.  This pier like many others was partly paid for by small metal plaques nailed into the floor commemorating individuals special events, a death, an anniversary, or just an individual.  It appears this is a good way to earn cash for such events.



The kitchen is awash with greens.  Tomatoes, asparagus spears, celery, cabbage, mushrooms, purple thing and tins of beans of various sorts yet I find myself sitting here watching the football with tea in one hand a chocolate doughnut in the other.  Aint life grand!




5 comments:

carol in cairns said...

it is compulsory to have a post-shopping treat.

Lee said...

I'm proud of you, Mr. Ad-Man....now all you have to do is eat the stuff! Don't just sit there looking at it!!!!

Kay G. said...

As a treat, we often get doughnuts at work. Guess what, I can't stand doughnuts! Am I crazy or what?!

Unknown said...

Nope. I ain't got nothing to smart-off. Sorry.

Adullamite said...

Carol, This is true but I was 12 hours late!

Lee, It looks good sitting there, I may leave it till next week....

Kay, Crazy? You? I'll have your doughnuts!

Jerry, I fail to believe you.....