Tuesday 29 September 2015

Cabbage & Mars


I give in to the pressure!  Reading for the umpteenth time about the 'Mediterranean diet' and being hectored from overseas I am once again returning to a veg diet.  The Med diet is full of veg, fruits, nuts and oily fish, and mine has been less than equal to this for a while now.  In the morning I will visit the shops and purchase appropriate veg, though I might have that pie for breakfast first....
Carol tells us that 'Chia' is the power food of the day - or at least that's what her son tells her - and I read the other day about the 'superfoods' that the trendies were spending vast sums of money on.  One of them was 'Blueberries,' grossly overpriced and not much better than other berries, strawberries for instance, 'Kale' a type of cabbage my mum used to eat in the 20's because it was cheap, I read any cabbage is good for you, indeed 'cabbage' the much maligned substance is one of the best veg to eat as long as not overcooked.  Anyhow my cooking kills all goodness in foodstuffs so it makes no difference.  I will however attempt a new diet again tomorrow.


Continuing our fascination with the heavens I note that there has been excitement in space circles with the discovery, it appears, of water on the planet Mars.  Much excitement as there are many experiments ongoing regarding sending men to the planet and even establishing a wee village up there.  Hmmm it will take a round trip of three years to get there and back as I understand it, then with the time establishing the village you can add on another couple of years so whoever goes will be away for at least five years and possibly more.  No doubt political correctness will insist on females participating on this journey, indeed some astronauts will insist on this also, and I suspect Russians, Europeans and maybe even the Chinese will become involved, the costs will be prohibitive otherwise, and I suspect an effort will be made to bring about such a trip.  The difficulties of space exploration in such an environment are immense, the costs out of this world, the chance of success limited, and yet it does excite many people.  Will they find intelligent life on Mars?  Will they find intelligent life on earth first I wonder?



8 comments:

Jenny Woolf said...

Ah, your last sentence was the killer comment. Will they indeed?

I tried goji berries once and they really do taste awful, but they are good for you. I have heard that cutting down salt is good, when it comes to diets. Also a half an aspirin once a day can do wonders. I'll tell you the other things in the diet when I have time.

carol in cairns said...

I love cabbage, steamed, in stirfrys and of course a tangy coleslaw. My grandma would boil the life out of her cabbage too. The best way I buy my blueberries is frozen, that way I can just take a few as I want them. I don't think I have ever relented and paid $6 for 100g punnet.

soubriquet said...

I like the idea of Mars exploration, because.... water. And canals. So chugging along in a narrowboat and canals, and canals always have canal-side pubs, no? And it would be on expenses, because you're away from home, and working.

Adullamite said...

Jenny, Salt I cut out years ago, in fact I cut out too much!

Carol, Boiled to death cabbage was the old way. Not in this house! I canny afford the energy!

Soub, Methinks there may be too much Jules Verne reading in your understanding of Mars Soub...

soubriquet said...

But, but I signed up already, the poster was delightful, are you saying it's not true?

Unknown said...

Chia pets are cute little things. I don't know if it would be a good look for you, but I suppose you have little to lose.

Lee said...

Fresh is good, Mr. Ad-Man...you're on the right gravy train...or vegie train! :)

Adullamite said...

Soub, Your were told not to believe all you read in adverts! And Mars is not made of chocolate either.

Jerry, I have lost what little I had to lose...

Lee, I need gravy also???