Sunday 6 September 2015

Morning Wander



This bright yellow thing hung above the trees this morning trying to pretend it was summer. Nobody was fooled.  We have too deep an ingrained cynicism to be fooled by the big yellow thing pretending it is hot when we all know it is warmer at the North Pole than here on some days when it shows.  We still walk out in it, men in shorts trying to impress their girl and cleverer men in thick jackets like me!  



The Bocking Windmill is one of the many in East Anglia, some which actually work, and may open during the year to visitors keen to climb about in them.  I find them a wee bit boring myself but from the history point of view Mr Miller made a lot of money and was in an important position in his world.  Each village required at least one mill of some sort or other as flour was the basic requirement for the daily bread and a local mill was important. On occasion this one opens to visitors, but rarely as far as I can see.  My boss has the key and he controls the thing but not enough wish to visit to make it worth opening more.  I doubt we will ever see flour coming from there.  The one we saw long ago in Woodbridge worked well enough selling its own flour to all who had a desire to bake.



If I remember right these are 'Teezles.'  These were, and probably still are, used by weavers and cloth people to 'fluff up' cloth.  There were a few of them growing wild around this green area today, whether these grow in the far east where most of our cloth comes from now I know not so how do they 'fluff' their cloth I wonder?  We could gather them and sell them on I suppose.



Now that September has arrived we will at last be free from people talking about cricket surely? The local clubs entrance looks a wee bit tired today, a bit like the local clubs players I suspect.  I have no idea if they are any good, I don't read the local paper, and only when passing do I see men of varied physical shape throwing the ball around or standing talking to themselves in distant corners of the ground.  They could be the second XI I suppose.



11 comments:

the fly in the web said...

Now speaking of cricket, if only you had been at Lords with your camera to determine whether or not Stokes was unfairly dismissed....

And now speaking from under the table in case you send a drone this way what beautiful photographs!

These days people seem only to use teazles in dried flower decorations...

Lee said...

I did write and post a comment on your previous post, but it's not appeared. I'm not sure if it's because of your new lay-out or not...

Nice clear photos, Mr. Ad-Man.

Lee said...

Concerning your new fancy lay-out...one of the ads trying to hog one of your pictures is annoying, though. Tell them to butt out...politely!

Kay G. said...

You know, I think that all of your photos here are really good and they also make me a bit homesick for England.
(I should put homesick in quotation marks but my feelings are my feelings and that is how I feel!)

carol in cairns said...

What a novel name for that flower? Teezles like Cheezles ~ you probably don't have Cheezles there do you? Just proves that there is a purpose for even the ugliest hints in nature.

alan1704 said...

"Cricket is the only game where even the players are unsure of the rules" - Hercule Poirot.

Lady Di Tn said...

A Cricket in the South is a Bug that annoys us with it's noise. I do not like the BIGGGGG brown ones. Ugh
Like the photos and I toured your mind in previous post. I do have fun with the way it works.
I love the old wind mill and would gladly take it off your hands and run a fun place for folks to visit here. Peace

Lady Di Tn said...

Would you mind if I took a copy of the windmill photo and put it in my Wish 2 Paint folder?

Adullamite said...

Fly, Stokes? I thought he played for Celtic...? Teezles in dried flowers, of course!

Lee, It never arrived. The layout would not affect it I reckon. Did you plug in the laptop...?

Lee, The ads I don't see, I use Adblock Plus to avoid them, try it, it's free!

Kay, Then you will have to come over and get wet in the rain!

Carol, Man makes use of all things, Stone Age man certainly knew how to use nature, I may have to become one!

Alan, Brilliant!!! Fly however will be after you!

Lady, You can keep those crickets over there!

lady, You can use any picture as you like, but share the cash received!



the fly in the web said...

Re Alan's super quote...that is what umpires are for...

Adullamite said...

Fly, Umpires get paid..? Jings!