Thursday 14 April 2022

Charity? Not from Boris.

This morning I humped two heavy bags down to the charity shop.  I chose the correct business.  "I think my heart is overworked," said I wearily to the man at the door as he showed me where to dump the bags.  
"Eat better," he said, and shewed me the door again.  
Very helpful.  I will take the other two bags of junk stuff to the 'Sue Ryder' or 'Cancer' shop next time.  
This charity shop is one of those type that are appearing more these days.  You know what I mean, usual tarty stuff but well laid out, good quality, and high prices for what is on offer.  This is the modern way to run such shops.  In times past these were more like junk shops, used goods, not always perfect, but cheap and with a sociable atmosphere to them.  I helped, somewhat, in one at the homeless charity during 1971/72, though we often used the stuff ourselves!  That shop ran for the people all about and brought them in as it was cheap and the personnel cared for all the people.  Today so many big charities shops have become businesses that must make a profit or be closed down.  The Heart people have a furniture shop up the road also.  Now I grumble a bit while admitting I do buy stuff from there, and the furniture stuff is good second hand quality, well worth a look.  However, I love the tatty old style more.
 
 
Boris, the worthless PM, has thrown out another idea to save his skin.  This one means sending asylum seekers to Rawanda and dumping them all in Africa.  Not only illegal, inhumane and vile, it is what Boris knows will find much support among the less well educated voters in his shires.  The 'Daily Mail' is full of such offering support to Boris.  Years of tabloid lies, fear abounding regarding their future has led to such support for this move.  They mostly live in 'white' areas.  Whether it actually happens is another thing, however, Boris cares not, all that matters to him is remaining in charge, people, any other people, don't count.
 
 
While the people argue Boris grins and walks away.  Meanwhile hospital waiting times increase, Covid ravages the land again, 651 died in the last couple of days, Brexit causes 25 mile queues of lorries 3 deep at Dover, and prices keep rising all around.  Boris and his mates are OK.  I paid £25 in Tesco this morning meaning I must adjust my spending again.  Allowing for the chocolate egg for my new nephew and £5:25 for 4 large chicken breasts I note much of the shop was the usual stuff.  I still await the Electric price increase, though the lass in the shop claims hers has doubled!  I believe her.  Now, where is that Lottery ticket...?
 

 

3 comments:

Dave said...

When I rode Lands End to John o Groats I got sponsorship and decided to give it to British Heart Foundation , as a good friend had just had a heart transplant. They were very unhelpful and not really concerned and did very little to help me raise money , compared to other riders who were supported by other charities. In the end I complained and had an interview with someone senior, but nothing changed, so I donate to other charities now.

Adullamite said...

Dave, I have to say that is a terrible response. Possibly they get so much money elsehwere your contribution is too small to care about? I find that repulsive. Surely they ought o be grateful for someone considering them?

Dave said...

Thats exactly how I felt Mr A ,my contibution of about !1000 , wa a paltry sum.