Friday 1 April 2022

April Spring Day

 
Here, in what they laughingly refer to as the 'United Kingdom,' it is always possible to recognise when Spring is in the air, it snows!  Today, the 1st day of April, a blizzard rages outside my window, Arctic snows lash the land and indeed, come through the window in the west wing.  
Excuse me while I rush to close this.
The snow swivels around, apparently coming at us from all directions but mostly from the north, and takes great delight in covering those unfortunate to be caught out in the open with a delightful white, wet covering upon them.
I wrap my frozen fingers around the coffee mug in sympathy.
Having had the heating on low all night, and it required to be on last night, I am wary of making use of heating anything again today, after all the energy price increases begin from this morning and all the energy companies are rejoicing in the shareholders profits.    
Jings!  It is definately Spring!  The blizzard has gone, the sun is out, the daffodils shine brightly and all is (almost) well with the world!  40% F. now with an 18 mph northerly wind coming through the cracks in the window frames.  Very Spring like weather.  This is of course quite normal.  Many years ago I went to Fulham to watch George Best playing for them  I spent the entire game with flakes of sleety snow in my face.  As you know, 'The Battle of Arras,' which began on April 9th    1917, included many days of deep snow lying all around, not welcomed by any of the participants at the time.
If this weather keeps up, and it will over the weekend, I may have to rise and start doing things to keep warm!
I worked today just to keep warm, this failed...
 

4 comments:

the fly in the web said...

I remember an old cartoon with little boys in overcoats, scarves and balaclavas hopping round a claroom under the upervision of cadaverous teacher while snow fell outside....'other vlasses' moand one boy 'were sent home...old Chalky has us hopping round the room to keep warm...'

Adullamite said...

Fly, Sounds like my old primary!

Dave said...

They often say that April can be a cruel month. Heating bills are going to be a real problem for lots of people , its a horrible though to have to choose between heating and eating. But how can a Government of multi millionaires understand what its like to have to pay bills from a limited income. I suspect they dont even look at their bill it's just one of those items thats automatically paid without thinking. How can they understand. At least when Portillo was in Government I think he spent a week living off benefits.

Adullamite said...

Dave, Yes Portillo did do something along those lines. It is not that they cannot understand, they just dod not want to understand. They just do not care.