Saturday 8 January 2022

Wet Market Day

So excited to be out in the rain I took my wee camera for a spin.  The real need was for bread and milk but I wandered into town in the rain to find the market almost deserted.  I then remembered that after Christmas many market stall holders take a holiday in the sun, probably Hawaii at their prices, at this time off year.  And add in the rain falling all day, and quite strong it was at that, only the Car advertising driving lessons and one cake stall arrived to seek cash from a very small congregation.  
I strolled through a near empty Tesco, half the checkouts empty, no customers queuing for long anywhere.  Cupboards maybe still full after restock but weather keeping folks in, I obtained a few things, congratulated the lass on not charging me as much as they usually do, and hobbled home in the wet. 
 

I suspect when the pubs open, mostly to watch football as it is English Cup day again, then many more will rise and shine.  Difficult to tell how many shops had remained shut, though most were open.  


Because my diet has been er, slack over the Christmas period I kept away from the cake stall.  His prices also enabled me to keep my distance but I doubt he made a fortune today.  
 
 
I was too early for the museum this morning, this is a shame as they have advertised a sale with 70% off!  I always told her the prices were too high!  Later in the week I will pop in and seek next years Christmas presents...
For now, it's football time.
 

4 comments:

Dave said...

I like street photography like this, it adds so much to the blog. looking at these scenes you can imagine what it was like 50 plus years ago. The museum looks like it was once a school.

Kay G. said...

I zoomed in on that cake stall. What lovely cakes! I would have had to stop and buy one. Also, I notice there is a tattoo parlor in that street photo. Outside the parlor...are they called that now or something trendier? Anyway, there is and old fashioned red and white barber shop pole just outside it. Was it once a barber shop? Or is that a little joke for us? The red is supposed to represent the flow of blood, right? Would you ever get a tat? Just wondering. And if you ask me if I would, my answer is- not very likely.

the fly in the web said...

Looks as if the rain kept people at home...but that way we had good photographs of the architecture!

Adullamite said...

Dave, At the museum we used to encourage folks to take such pictures. Most found it strange, but 20, 30 and 50 years later so much is the same, but so much different. It is best early on a summer morning ebfore folks ask questions mind.

Kay, It used to be a barbers, and barbers kept the pole for many years.

Fly, Yes, early summers morn is best time.