Sunday 30 January 2022

Stiff Sunday

 
Feeling good I decided to up the exercise.  That night I slept with the satisfaction of a good job well done.  The next day there was a bit of stiffness, ignored by me, and I just got on with doing very little in the usual manner.  For some reason stiffness after exercise takes longer to make a show off itself!  So this morning, as I rose and shone to the world, my back ached!  Slovenly I creaked about, struggling to get moving.  My knees were not happy, but that I could manage OK.  The back however, stiffened badly.  There was no point in going out, my head was not awake anyway, so I refused the offer of a lift as I could not move properly, instead spending some time walking around trying to loosen the back.  This I reckon should work by Tuesday.
After all these years I should know better.  I suffered this when working often enough, then however, I could keep moving so it did not hinder me, now I just sit slumped after another period of what some call 'loosening up.'   
This means tomorrow I must get back to exercise in the afternoon, as the only way to beat this is to keep moving.  This time of course I must also stretch better than before, that helps avoid this ache.  
'Age shall not weary them,' I know now what this means...
 

4 comments:

the fly in the web said...

You are right...you need to keep moving, but it is very painful. Do you have decent painkillers?

Adullamite said...

Fly, Stiff this morning, but no painkillers. I just move around and it will wear off, eventually.

Jenny Woolf said...

The rotten thing about exercise is that it can make things temporarily worse if you overdo it. One day on and one day off works for me. If I let it go then it takes quite a few miserable days to strike the right balance again between doing enough and not enough. I always like those Hymns Ancient and Modern performed in a straightforward way by a choir. I could do without the addition of harmonies that aren't in the original. When I was young, we sang a hymn every morning at school. I got a lot out of doing this I now realise. Sometimes they used wonderful old tunes, "Immortal Invisible" was one of my favourites. The tune sounds Welsh to me.

Adullamite said...

Jenny, The thing is I did too much, forgetting I am old. You are right, gentle regular is required now, starting next week...
Walter Chalmers Smith, born in Aberdeen, was the writer, a poet and minister of the Free Kirk.