Wednesday 2 December 2020

Online Shopping


Such a busy day.  Yesterday, being the 1st of December, I posted my cards, some including cheap gifts.  Weighed, stamped, posted, I then sat down to order online the other items.  
I thought this would be straight forward, and to some extent it was, however there were difficulties.  For a start, the ideal gift suddenly did not look so good, the next in line was 'out of stock,' and selection of a suitable item was taking longer than intended.  How people survive who wait until the last week before buying I know not.  One problem was the various systems used by different companies.  Just because a  company has a straight forward website does not mean that paying is straightforward!  Oh no, filling in boxes, losing them, filling in boxes again and then paying, I chose to use 'PayPal' whenever because it is easy and indeed saved much time, filling in other boxes and then being offered extras!  One large company asked very strange questions 'for security.'  I almost changed my mind there as they did not use PayPal but their own 'Card' or 'paying system' which was on offer, however I used Visa at that one.  Eventually, by late afternoon, all this was over and Christmas was more or less complete. 
One or two things more to obtain which needs to be done next week and then there are the cards from forgotten folks to find.  I went out today and bought some more but ensured I first queried the situation with the Curate about cards at the church.  It will not be possible to exchange them in the normal pattern owing to Coronovirus, and I wished to save cash by not buying them to ensure people were aware of this.  Therefore I will use email cards this year again.  
The cards I bought were to fill gaps.


Naturally, I was wrong!
Today I spent hours searching for less pricey gifts for 5 people.  Once again I searched the web, once again my eyes were spinning looking at pictures of grossly overpriced goodies, once again I struggled to choose, once again I fought the buying system!  
Once again I eventually won!  How happy was I?  How smug and self-satisfied at my success!
Then I got an email from a woman asking "What?"
Somehow I got addresses mixed up and moved myself a mile down the road.
All sorted.
This means my expensive and intriguing gifts and last years left over cards begin to fall through letterboxes across the nation.  In the next week the gifts ought to all have arrived ensuring guilt rises within many hearts.  Some will scramble for cards, addresses, sellotape, wrapping paper, and scissors.  Some will scrutinise pages similar to the ones on the interweb I scurried through, many will use similar words as they choose, select, fight with systems, and they hope succeed with their quest.
I meanwhile will sit with a smug grin ready for the one or two slip-ups in my own work and awaiting the cards and presents pouring through my door.
Maybe I had better replace the batteries in that doorbell?
 

In between spending money I took a break and spent money.  To book into the Morton v Heart of Midlothian game I had to go onto their website and book.  I had to do this hurridley as it cost £14 and went up to £16 at midnight!  What a con I say!  All this to ensure they get a good idea of the numbers and obtain cash.  
Once again I logged in, filled in boxes, different from the East Fife, Alloa and Heart of Midlothian ones, got it wrong, at least it all disappeared, started again, finished, was told it had been removed, but it has gone through and has not been removed.  
I will find out on Saturday afternoon!
All this makes me wonder how government offices work, they still use old Microsoft OS I believe.  Civil servants everywhere must be pulling their hair out daily if it is anything like this.  I suppose they are used to it and can make an excuse for 'losing things' this way?

7 comments:

Lady Di Tn said...

You ended your post with a very funny cartoon. Thanks for the laugh. Now I have wrapped all the presents I have bought but with the passing of my MIL it is hard to get into the spirt as she loved the holidays. Anyway, I plan to send a few gift cards to those who are in other states and I give to charities that honor the person that I have given the donation in their name. Gotta run and play at daily life. Peace

the fly in the web said...

You would not believe - no, you probably would - the aggro to send a case of wine to friend in London.
First...to find what she likes...then faint at the prices and try again.
Having found it...you have to register for delivery...they want the ins and outs of a bull's arse and then their 'security' system rejects your card.
In the end I telephoned the gentleman at her corner shop...who is on the 'care for your neighbour' local link and whose wine stock has expanded with the gentrification trend in the area. He knew me, knew what she liked, had it in stock and took my card number over the 'phone.
Wine delivered - by his son - friend happy....I think this chap should take over internet ordering nationwide. If he has enough sons.

Jenny Woolf said...

Shopping online is supposed to be easy and in a way it is. But I'm starting to yearn to go into proper shops and just look around and buy stuff that takes my fancy. I hope there will be some left at the end of this pandemic.

Jenny Woolf said...

But well done having got your gifts sorted. That shows real foresight! I haven't even got mine done for those places overseas that I was hoping to economise by sending via the cheapest mail option that the post office never tells you about. It's about half the price of airmail but takes up to 12 weeks. Maybe I'll send them all easter eggs instead.

Adullamite said...

Lady, You can still have a decent Christmas, I hope you do.

Fly, I understand the aggro! I understand the corner shop approach also - brilliant! Really good!

Jenny, Too many small shops will suffer, we have lost one or two here.

Jenny, I learned years ago to make for the 1st of December with cards and most gifts. Not everyone can of course. My sister used to buy her gifts/cards in what once were January sales and was ready by April for Christmas!

Kay G. said...

Bah, humbug. That made me laugh! Thanks, I needed that today.

Adullamite said...

Kay,, It's very Xmas!