Thursday 10 December 2020

Boris, EU, Charity Adverts


A friend, I do have them, in a far distant land, shares cheap Christmas tokens with me each year.  One year I received a pencil with a knot in it, another year a short string of glittering blue tinsel.  Obviously she does not appreciate the cost of the two tea bags I sent her!  This is her offering this year, possibly this could be construed as a political gesture, and with Boris now somewhere in the EU selling out so that he can obtain a 'No Deal' as he and his money changers have been looking for all along, then he can start blaming the EU for intransigence.  
I mentioned on Twitter last night that this trip was a scam, no deal was going to happen as 'No Deal' was what he has been looking for and this is just another balloon from the bumbling, lying balloon.  It was frightening to read peoples responses.  There is out there still a number, a large number, of people who believe in Boris.  People who consider 'No Deal' a good thing, people who do not think January 1st will lead to shortages, people who will not open their minds to anything but what they wish to believe.  While Boris panders to these people in Brussels his friends who demanded Brexit are all moving their business overseas.
 
I came across this German cartoon the other day and thought it appropriate...


On a slightly different subject, this morning I received a magazine, I can read yu know, and inside the plastic wrapper alongside said mag was an invitation to give a subscription to a friend, an advert for a 'Special Pensioners' hearing aid, though it did not qualify how to be a 'special pensioner,' an offer (£83 plus P&P) for 12 bottles of wine, considerably cheaper in Tesco I wish to point out, an advert for health insurance to rob us, and eight (8) requests for money from various charities.  Corum, Crisis, Blind Veterans, Trussel Trust, Lifeboats, Zane (who?), YMCA and Water Aid!  All this doubled the weight of the magazine!  Oh yes, and something dangerous was also included, a small advert, indeed a booklet, from an organisation calling itself PostScrpt.  This is a bookshop selling books!  
Comparing this to a pile of requests for charitable cash leaves me feeling too guilty to purchase a book.  And if guilt, and that is what lies behind such requests at this time of year, if guilt forces me to send cash how do I decide who to give it too?  No doubt that those charities among them that I know are worthy, the others probably are also or this mag would not allow them, but how to decide?  Are the young needy more important than old?  Or Blind more important because they were servicemen?  Do children come before families or Lifeboats? It can all become very confusing.
Naturally I dump them in the recycling bag.
I have given to various charities, month by month, sometimes for years, then if I had any cash I decided to let the money collect and give a bundle to something I truly thought worth it.  There are all around such places, from the Food Bank to local homeless hostels, young folks and the like, and there are always things near and far that could be helped.  I just like to imagine that what I give can do something for others.  My mates church in London helps the 'Street People,' many of whom sleep under bushes in Hyde Park, and weekly they give out foodpacks in these virus days.  This when the church income has been slashed, some 75% of the income has gone, and therefore so has many staff.  However, he believes the work must continue and Jesus will help.
Come January 1st we shall begin to see real need again.  What social services we have will soon face cuts, the NHS, over burdened still, will also be cut, and how many US investors will arrive?  The Food Banks may need more help, the people operating the food banks will also require assistance soon, 2020 is seen as a dark year, I suspect for many it will become darker.
 
 


2 comments:

the fly in the web said...

I give any spare uckers to locally run charities, where no one is paid, or just gets reasonable expenses as they are 'on the ground' and know how to help.

Adullamite said...

Fly, I agree with that approach.. Some stories re large charities put me off them.