Saturday 26 December 2020

Boxing Day 2020

 

 
Rising late into a subdued world it did not take me long to realise that in spite of a crammed freezer, in spite of a full fridge, in spite of cupboards groaning I was about to run out of bread!  After a bacon sandwich for breakfast, all I could cope with, I began to wonder should I bother with bread.  Common sense however said otherwise.  By lunchtime I joined the trickle of people in Sainsburys for bread.  It always surprises me just how many folk fill a trolley on Boxing Day?  There were a few of those giving it a try.  Most were like myself, filling the gaps created from yesterday or finding the forgotten bread and milk.
The Christmas cheer was not much in evidence, an occasional nod from a glum passerby, a greeting, a grunt, but so many look the other way, not joyful, cheery or willing to meet people.  The recent incomers are mostly responsible for this, London overspill you see, however many are suffering, covid, family problems, illness, loneliness or maybe they are just miserable gits?   Who can tell, but it is clear less folks greet one another these days than did 20 years ago.  As I walked back across the near deserted park, a few taking a walk, far from others, it was clear most had remained indoors.  Covid has had an effect both yesterday and today.
 

I ate quite a large plateful yesterday, followed by a reasonable sized Belgian chocolate Christmas pudding, with a glass of 'Highland Park Viking whisky' that  my secret admirer sent me.  Today I made soup with the chicken bones, and I must say it is the best I have made for a while.  The butchers chickens are better fed than Tesco's.  I was also forced to eat more chicken and other bits.  I am now looking at the Christmas cake while sipping gin and blackcurrent that was donated by another admirer.  Sometimes I am glad these admirers live far away and far apart!  
Today phone calls and emails replace the bother of having people around to annoy me while watching football, (we won 5-3 by the way).  I wonder about a family gathering up north (they are not supposed to have the whole lot together for one day, though they all enjoyed it) I'm sure there was more than six there, but I am not surprised that the younger element have gone off today to find a MacDonalds! Anyway, as the wind rises and begins to howl through the cracks in the window frame, the rain lashes the glass and my feet rest on the radiator I take no heed as I now have several books to read, all good ones, with more on the way.  I also discovered a strange emotional response, humility.  Looking at what I had been given I felt realy humble and emotional, as I do not deserve all that I have been given.  I really don't deserve this family or these friends.
 
Anyway, remember this...
 

 

4 comments:

the fly in the web said...

Remember the naval toast? Wives and sweethearts. May they never meet.

Annoying to have to go out when you have planned a quiet, undisturbed day. I thought we were safe, but it was a working day here so Danilo and Carlos installed the cooker hood and trunking that I had been moaning about for five years and then ran short of sealant...so that was a trip out only to find the town humming! How did they eat all that they were buying on Christmas Eve?

Today should be quiet, but will not. Leo has plans to move the sheep to the bottom pasture before it gets burned up...let joy be unconfined! This will be a Cecil B.de Mille production...Higher Authority issuing orders, minions - me and the lad from across the road - scurrying, sheep protesting, dogs barking...you have the picture. Thank goodness the lunch is in the slow cooker!

Adullamite said...

Fly, I remember a postie who had a stroke. We all laughed at the sight of his wife on one side and his gir on the other.. both Essex girls.

the fly in the web said...

Did they help him do his round?

Adullamite said...

Fly, They both helped in many ways....Not now however!