Monday 7 July 2014

The Monday Tour





This great French event came within two miles of me today.  To avoid the crowds and the great danger of spending money I watched on TV.  I watched very carefully as they made their way from Cambridge down into Essex, through Saffron Walden and Finchingfield ('the prettiest village in England') and headed towards Rayne.  It certainly revealed a lovely country scene along the way.  The villages, ancient churches,crops almost ready for harvest and the sun shining of medieval but much upgraded buildings.  The commentators prattled on as always, inane ramblings needless facts read from a script, often at the wrong time revealing their ignorance, and as they did so I waited to watch for the pelaton taking the humpback bridge over the old railway at Rayne just up the road.  I wanted to see them as they took the immediate sharp, narrow, right hand turn.  Naturally as the leaders entered the village the telly went for an advert break!
Grrrrrrr!  
Now who wishes to see, for the fortieth time, five minutes of bad adverts? Meaningless and irrelevant to the programme, indeed even the commentators make more sense than the adverts, yet when we enter a village they leave us for them!  Why not on the long boring roadway you eejits?  Grrrrr!

On the first day the 'British' rider Mark Cavendish fell and broke his collar bone. He was one tipped to win the race.  If these commentators manage to get through any sentence, whether about the race, the churches and castles passed by, the crowd or the colour of the sky without mentioning Cavendish I have not heard them.  The bias is unavailing, constantly spouted at every opportunity. Cavendish of course is out of the race. 
Lady DiTn thinks the commentators ought to try Nascar!  I would like to see Phil Liggett there also! Heart attacks abounding!

.

8 comments:

Carol said...

If they don't go to and ad break, they decide to change camera angles and show the back pack of racers. I feel your pain. When I am watching the V8 super cars on TV in Townsville, I look for glimpses of familiar places from living there ~ but the cameras just don't go where I tell them to :-/

Lee said...

Quite a few cyclists were cycling by along the road not far from the front of this property yesterday...I thought someone from the Tour de France had taken the wrong turn and the rest had followed...

Lee said...

I think Adullamite has jumped onto the back of one of those bikes...and has joined the Tour de France!!! Go, Mr. Ad-Man! Now that Cavendish is out...it's all on your shoulders and the power of your legs, now! Pedal, Ad-Man! Pedal!!!!! ;)

Unknown said...

Even by European standards, how can they justify starting the Tour de France in England? Haven't there been several wars fought over such nonsense?

Lee said...

OK, Mr. Ad-Man...the game of Hide 'n Seek is over! It's time for you to come out now!!!

I hope all is well.

Adullamite said...

Carol, Cameramen are so selfish!

Lee, Failed to qualify did they?

Jerry, No wars have been fought over the Tour.....

Lady Di Tn said...

First of all I think the good old boys of Nascar would toss them out on their ear when they began to speak. LOL Mark was one of my favorites and Chris the second favorite. Due to what has happen to each I will not pick another favorite for fear they too will slide off their bikes. Having had two memorable wreaks on bikes at not half their speed, well I would still be laying on the ground until someone picked me up. I hurt all over just thinking about those. However, I continue to watch for the beautiful scenery to continue to be shown.Peace

Adullamite said...

Lady, You can watch the French rain in comfort today.