Sunday 25 April 2021

Sunday Sunshine


The weekend is almost over, that is, I am running out of football! 
On Saturday,as expected, the Heart of Midlothian sauntered past Inverness Caley, ths upsetting their manger who was sent to the stand.   Suggesting he would 'Knock our managers block off,' is not really the done thing these days.
The Scottish Cup, played at odd hours for the sake of TV money, is played this weekend, without ,as we considered we had won the trophy often enough in recent years and felt lesser teams ought to have a go.  
Two games down, two to go, one about to start and one on Monday evening.
 

While the sunshine is worth having around I was freezing after church.  We could only gather, at a distance, outside and the cold wind was chilling my back something awful as I listened to one of my women's woes.  It is good to have a few minutes with people, just to remember what they look like!
Not much time to talk mind you.
 

Today, 25th April, is ANZAC Day, when we commemorate the Australian and New Zealand forces in the Great War. For some this was the event that made both individual nations, seperate from the Mother Country.  Their adventures during the conflict have not been forgotten.
We see here an astonishing picture I think.  An off side portrait, the view behind, the face of a man who may well be happy to be alive, and I think it makes a striking picture.  "Alsatian prisoner of war captured by New Zealand troops. Photograph taken probably near Colincamps 15 April 1918 by Henry Armytage Sanders."

5 comments:

the fly in the web said...

Coming from Alsace I just bet he was glad to be captured...
And that musuem visit looks like the last time I went to the Tate and encountered a school party...

Dave said...

Sunny but chill here too. Love "Day at the museum" picture. Nearly everyone I come across out walking is either looking at their mobile or listening to something, they are all missing out on the sounds and sights of nature.

Adullamite said...

Fly, Yes, Alsatians were quite confused, even today they speak two languages I am told.

Dave, We need to see what is happening elsewhere, in case we miss something unimportant.

Jenny Woolf said...

YOu do really wonder what happened to him. I wonder if he settled in NZ

Adullamite said...

Jenny, I hope so, Alsace was not the place to be between the wars.