Friday 27 November 2020

Mist, Tesco and Max

The mist was hanging around as it does in bleak winter days so I decided that before I eat my 'Murdoch's Pork Pie' for lunch I had best wander out into it and give the world the benefit of my appearance.  What would I see?  I saw mist!  Lots of it.  Indeed as I strolled along, overcoat wrapped around, hands hanging loose to catch the freezing air, the mist appeared to thicken.  It changed moods all morning disappearing for a while at siesta time and now being gently blown away by the breeze. 
The warmth of the locals was also out in force, one man muttered, almost, a greeting as he, even slower than me, passed in the opposite direction, women crossed the road to avoid me, men heads down stared ahead, tough like, as they passed.  Only one woman almost greeted me while she waited with an impatient dog for me to pass.  All were well wrapped up while wishing they were indoors.
few, apart from those with a camera, would be cheered by days like this.  
 

I so enjoyed trailing the streets I went back to Tesco tonight.  I was not intending to buy, I just wished to change an LED lightbulb.  John, the landlords man, insisted I use LED bulbs as they are brighter, cheaper, longer lasting.  However, the one I bought the other day was a screwfit not bayonet fit, I forgot to look!  The girl told me "upstairs and change it, and I will fiddle the till," or something like that.  So, off I goes, no escalator, so another stair to climb slowly, behind someone almost as slow as I.  No straight swop, so two slightly different bulbs bought and then slowly down the stairs again.  Those stairs are higher than they used to be!  A quick change at the desk, an extra £1 paid and off I rush.  However, an old woman was slowly struggling along in front, how I wished she would hurry!  Funny, how people waited for me as I struggled up and down the stairs but I wished to rush past another.  What a git!
Back home I replaced the bulbs and discovered that they are indeed brighter.  I also discovered how difficult it is to fix them in with grubby, dust covered shades on them.  Well, one shade, the bedroom one accidentally ripped apart as I worked on it. Still, I have bright light, cheaper also they say, and electric is the higher of the bills that rip me off.  
I heard on an old tape how Victoria, once queen, scribbled a diary daily.  Before Albert appeared she apparently read some, wrote a letter, ate at 7:30, then 'sat on the couch' with two Ladies-in-waiting.  What a life!
I thought life here was boring, no wonder she grasped Albert when he came!
 

Now I must go to Max the Dog in California to stop someone feeding his dog whisky.
 


3 comments:

the fly in the web said...

You could even do that on the Sabbath - a work of necessity and mercy - without the Wee Free inquisitors descending on you. Thank goodness the wee dug has a protector....
Not that I can forgive or forget anouther flaunting of thse pies....

Jenny Woolf said...

Who is this Murdoch person who makes the pies? I am sure you never used to mention him or her! I always think of Rupert Murdoch when I hear the name, which is a shame considering that it is otherwise a noble and dignified one.

Adullamite said...

Fly, I forgot to answer this, it must be overwork...

Jenny, The Scots diet includes an abundance of what they call here, Scotch pies.' Pie on beans is a decent and common lunch for many. However the pies are not avai;able here so I have bought some online from Murdoch in Forres way up north. Very good they are. Sadly Fly cannot get them as she is in Costa Rica, too far to deliver! Proper mince pies use mutton although I notice all these use beef today. Each butcher has his own recipie, this one is good.