Wednesday 4 November 2020

Let Joy Continue...

 Selfie

It was as I watched a train of 150 or so doubled up containers leave the bridge at Fort Madison, Iowa, last night that I realised something was amiss.  My picture was good but as I tried to log on to other places nothing worked.  All had gone down and the trains soon stopped running past the replica Fort Madison.  Internet connection was lost.  Hmm... Tsk!  Thought I, this is unfortunate.
I then attempted to reconnect to the web, nothing worked.  Three Browsers were tried, nothing worked.  What was wrong?  It appears the 'DNS' was not connecting.  The what?  The DNS.  I stared for a while, but this did not help.  
I connected the old laptop, one as slow as a Boris Johnson thought, and discovered this one connected well enough, indeed I then watched the football on it!  My better one would not however work.  
Having interrupted the football to search for an answer, and several were found but all appeared to me to be in a foreign 'Geek' language, so they were put back to bed, and I then joined them there.
This morning, covered in crumbs, I stumbled about in the laptop, prodding this and that and getting nowhere.  Eventually, by chance, I hit the 'Network' troubleshooter.  This found a fault, not the DNS one, and offered a 'Fix.'  
I took it, and it 'fixed!'  
What did it fix? No idea!  But it now works better than ever.
Old laptop put back, slowly, to bed, and I got on with life.
Great stuff, what could possibly go wrong now?  

 
Step forward Royal Mail!
Or at least Chris, the postman!
The books I ordered from Waterstones were due delivery today.  Strange to say they did not come from Waterstones themselves but one via 'Hatchards' and two via 'Foyles' bookshops.   They have been sitting in a London sorting office for a couple of days, rather than being sent on, and were due delivery today.
I know Chris, I worked with him long enough, ageing as the days pass, arrives around 1:30 each day.  I was here, I was sitting happily awaiting the prizes, I even had the door open to hear, and the bell is close by.
Around 1:35 an email arrived claiming no one was in.
Strapping my Claymore to my side I went downstairs and checked.  Two red cards awaited, one for me, one for next door.  
No bell had rung, Chris had gone and was nowhere in sight.
Grrrrrr!
This is the result of the Virus.  Chris, at his age, is very wary of the virus and has clearly decided not to ring the bell in case he catches it, instead he, like others, taps on the door thus meaning no-one inside can hear him.  He then wastes time scribbling the cards and chucking them through the door when he could be wasting time chatting.  He has not considered that other postmen, couriers etc, may 'tap' the door rather than use the bell thus endangering themselves from one another.  
He may get words next week when he is back on.
My books will be delayed until Friday, not counting sorting office incompetence, no way I can walk down there, and the old boy on Friday will ring the bell. 
Tsh!

4 comments:

the fly in the web said...

Do you think the laptop was traumatised by the U.S. elections?

Adullamite said...

Fly, It could be, it came from there.

Jenny Woolf said...

Poor old fella might have broken his leg and some lazy apprentice delivered (or rather, didn't deliver) the mail!!

Adullamite said...

Jenny, No such luck! I know Chris, he is scared of the virus, he would not survive this. He may not survive me on Monday either!