Wednesday 18 November 2020

Somme, Christmas

 

 
18th November 1916 was the last official day of the 'Battle of the Somme.'  The battle cost around 400,000 casualties, that is, dead, wounded and missing, of the British Imperial Force and probably similar casualties on the German side.  
The choice of the Somme was not one agreed by General Haig, then Commander-in-Chief of the British Army, this was a choice forced upon him, as 'Loos' had been forced upon Sir John French the then Commander in 1915, by the London government wishing to submit to the French.  The 'Battle of Loos' was still being fought, officially or otherwise, in 1918!  The London government at all times sided with the French, ignoring their own officers advice and accepting whatever the French wanted.  This attitude cost more lives than bungling officers would.
The Somme was an area unsuitable for fighting, gently rolling hills, many wooded areas covering one another, and with an army of volunteers with almost no battle experience it was likely to be an interesting place to have a battle.  The end result saw an advance of a few miles, but this advance, though costly, did break the back of the regular German army, and this effect lasted until the end of the war.  The result in November meant that the UK now had an experienced army, many lessons had been learned, tactics changed, commanders exchanged, and a victory won.  
While this battle raged Verdun was the scene of French losses equal to those on the Somme.  The German idea was to 'Bleed the French army dry' and instead it bled its own army at the same time.
In the East the Russian 'Brusilov Offensive' cost over 1,3 million casualties, at least.  In the East the war swung back and forth causing widespread destruction and little advantage for either side.  
1916 was not the year to choose to enlist in any army in Europe.
 

There is no escape, Xmas is upon us.  OK it may be 6 weeks or so away and we may be in November still but it is upon us now.  Sainsburys this morning had stacked the shelves with Christmas cake, mince pies, puddings and booze, lots of booze.  I evaded them all as I saw the prices!  I have been slowly stacking up for Brexit and now I must begin to store the Xmas stuff.  Not that this means much change for me, however it is now time to prepare.  This means cards and posted stuff must be ready, Covid has hindered Royal Mail and thousands of extra staff will not really cover the work as well as the regulars.  I always post cards on December 1st, this gets mine away well in time and reminds others to send me one.  Some do.  Charge Cards for gifts are different as so many shops have closed.  I noticed 'Peacocks' the cheap clothes store is closing, others have already gone, and charge cards are no use if the business is bust.  Looks like chocolate through the post this year, 'Cadburys' anyone? 
 
 

3 comments:

the fly in the web said...

Re the French, father's cry was 'buggers let us down in 1914, buggers let us down in 1939...' but meaning French leaders, not the soldiers themselves.
Closely followed by his explanation as to why the old main roads in France were lined with trees....so that the German army could march in the shade.

As far as I can see here, from my limited outings, Christmas is coming over the top with fixed bayonets. Musical horrors assaulting the ear, meretricious tat assaulting the eye and prices offending the wallet.

Kay G. said...

The British do such a great job in remembering World War I. In America, I can't help but notice that it has been merely a footnote in the news. Yes, I do know that America was not in World War I for very long but Americans did die in that war. I don't know if you saw my post about the HMS Otranto. I had no idea that I had a distant relative who perished on that ship until I stumbled upon that fact when I was researching my family tree.
Christmas! In America, we have to get through Thanksgiving first, which is just next week. It will be a strange one but this is 2020.
Take care! Wear a mask!

Adullamite said...

Fly, I have heard that sort of thing before. Xmas is here...


Kay, The Great War was a pin prick in the States, in Europe it was devastating and changed the world for ever so is hard to forget.