Friday 10 May 2019

Day Out to Caesaromagus


Late last night I decided to risk a trip into Caesaromagus and make use of the book vouchers in Waterstone's shop. So by ten this morning I was on the Zimmer bus, after almost failing to get my ticket out of my new wallet which had swallowed the thing!  So we soared of past green crops rising in the acres around, aged houses sparkling in the bright sunshine and young women in bright outfits brightening the view.  They ignored me...


It all appeared remarkably quiet, possibly folks made use of the Monday holiday and stayed away now the kids were back at school, possibly I was just lucky.  I clambered upstairs in the shop and browsed the books on the tables, on the shelves and at times found it quite depressing as there was nothing obvious to buy.  That is there were many interesting books but not ones that grabbed me and forced me to take home, which is disappointing.  The idea of laying books on tables is because it apparently sells them better than standing on the shelf facing the customer, it is better for me viewing them certainly even better had I brought my other glasses with me so I could see properly indoors!


All went well, not counting the females ability to walk through you in a shop demanding you move or totally ignoring your presence.  It would be easy to make use of rude words and offer suggestions on correct behaviour, old women are the worst!  
I proffered the books at the desk where the efficient staff man took care of me, indicating the £25 card had only £20 on it and reminded me never to trust a woman!  However I paid the difference and collected the new bonus card which is being used by Waterstone's and made my way elsewhere. Until recently a small card received a red stamp on every occasion £10 or more was spent.  A good idea however some staff were fiddling this, one man has just been dealt with for acquiring £11,000 worth by fiddling the cards this way and so a more secure computerised card has been introduced.  Some staff will not be happy...


Home via the gardens and the butcher in the market.  Plenty of sausages and chicken in the freezer now!  Then stumble up the road to await the transport with the happy people.  Interested to note the growing number of those sleeping rough during the day in public places.  Do they think this will get them sympathy in this city?  I could not decide why this was the case, mostly this sight has been seen in Camulodunum, a far rougher town, so what causes the change and are these folks local?


Back home I delighted in my day, the first time this year I have been out of town I think.  How nice to almost think I am getting fitter.  

    

5 comments:

Jenny Woolf said...

I have just been given a copy of the Old Ways and so maybe you will post a review of it because I have something else to read before I read it! (But no spoilers please, not that it really looks like that kind of book). What a handsome church that is. A wonderful bench at the war memorial -I have never seen anything like it before, and it looks new. Do you know anything about it?
The swan picture is so gentle and reflective.
You have an eye for interesting objects and I'm glad you had some reasonable weather for it too. Yes, keep going out, it can't fail to make you fitter although if you are like me it can take rather a long time!

Adullamite said...

Jenny, The park area has been renovated and the memorial area (to the Boer War) has also been improved. The seats are new and a very good touch I say. I will start the book soon, it looks good.

the fly in the web said...

I was put off buying that book by one of his esrlier ones...wild places,I think...which struck me as somewhat precious so I'll be interested to know what you make of it.
Very glad that you are up to getting out and about again.

Kay G. said...

I also really admire the bench at the war memorial. Very well done.

Adullamite said...

Fly, I understand what you say after a quick chapter. I will plough on.

Kay, It is very good.