Tuesday 21 August 2018

Breath the Air Deeply


There has been a bit of a stink going around.  Some people are finding it a bit much, others just finding breathing a bit much!  It is that time of year again when Farmer Jones gets out the much spreader and covers the fields in the organic manure that is probably a lot cheaper than the chemical ones he buys.  I of course have no idea from where he obtains this stuff and I have no intention of enquiring re the source.  
A couple of days ago it began to work it's way into our consciousness late in the afternoon.  Such an aroma is not hindered by shut windows or scarves wrapped tightly around the face, I can tell you.  This delight seeps into the air and clings to you individual thus allowing the individual to enhance their lungs by breathing deeply and spending several days in hospital retching.  This happens every year yet this is the first time I have noticed people grumbling about this.  When I first arrived I remember being somewhat irked by the air but understood this is what happens when surrounded by fields producing bread.  For a day or two we benefit from this odour but it soon disappears and life continues as always.  Why people complain who have lived here for years I know not, it is part of life in the country.  The town is about three miles wide and two the other way and with lots of farmers actually growing things we are bound to notice their work sometimes.  They do not spend all day driving tractors slowly along the A120 for spite as some claim, they work on occasion and clearly one of them, to the north it seems, has been busy spreading it around.  I look forward to the crop he produces whatever it is.


How stupid can this stupid person be?  I am reading several books at once, two of which have been lying for some time and I picked them up once again while cleaning, and then is a charity shop came across this.  Naturally I took it home and placed it on the pile to be ignored for a while but then accidentally picked it up and began reading.  So that's five books one the go at one time.  Must go I have to read something before the football arrives...   

6 comments:

the fly in the web said...

Thank your lucky stars he doesn't spread duck slurry....

Lady Di Tn said...

Let me know if the book is any good. I had to lol as I too have several books started. If I land in any certain room I like a book to read for a few quite moments to be had on the Hill. I must post my first day of school. No child who had the freedom of the farm and the great outdoors goes willing to a brick building where you are captured for most of the day in one room with stranger even if they are your age. Most of my days now are taking care of my MIL she is 99 and 4months old and she was in the hospital and rehab in July but now home with me being the caretaker. When Prince comes home I hand her over to him because she is his mother. My two siblings and I took care of our parents and tried not to ask any help from others. Oh well I must have stood in the wrong line when they were handing out task in Heaven or maybe I just could not read the print. Maybe it was been to get Caretaker instead of car taker.Peace

Dave said...

Its all part and parcel of living close to a rural area, and as you say its better this stuff than the chemicals. I have to finish one book at a time, but what I dont do now is do stoical plough through a book if I dont like it, just move on to another.

Adullamite said...

Fly, I would duck that one...

Lady, You cannot get enough books.

Dave, Ploughing stoically is a hard thing to give up.

Kay G. said...

Lucky you to find such a book at a charity shop! I just read the review of the book in The Guardian, it looks good to me.
I well remember driving past fields in the countryside of Sussex and smelling that odor. Luckily, we were past it quickly in the car.

Adullamite said...

Kay, Charity shops are the best places for books.