Thursday 9 August 2018

A Question of Rain



This was the view this afternoon.  A fine view I say after several weeks of too hot sunshine.
The truth is we were all rather glad the weather had cooled.  90% is fine for a day or two but  after a few weeks it has a debilitating effect on those not used to it.  Sleep is disturbed, irritation arises, mistakes become common and the difficulty of cooling down yet always being either too hot or two perspiring to be comfortable.  Today we have normality and the rain has fallen all day.  I avoided this by visiting Tesco before the crowds woke up and after I returned home the heavens released the rain.  It has not stopped since just after eight this morning.  This is the summer weather we are more used to and capable of dealing with.  People in Aberdeen had to go to evening classes to learn how to operate sun tan lotion, never having had a need for this before.
In nations in which high temperatures are constant folks deal with it better, rise early, midday you hide, sleep and if required work once again in the evening, Spanish football for instance often begins much later than ours because of this.  'Mad dogs and Englishmen' go out in the midday sun indeed, I noticed photos of such taken just before the Great War where men in three piece tweed suits walk around Greece visiting monuments, all the while smoking pipes and being English.  No wonder they are all dead.


In desperation for something interesting on TV I came across reruns of this quiz.  It was one of the better ones, I think revived with Jeremy Clarkson insulting people, and I always found the first five, easy, questions the hardest.  This was because they always featured at least two or three on present day 'culture' of which I know nothing.  Today there featured one chap who did not know what nation made use of TASS as a press agency.  This was not a surprise as he was under 30 years of age and probably knew nothing of the Cold War.  He eventually did not answer took his money and ran, however the answer he would have given was correct.  It amazes me how little we know about things that happened before we were born.  Actually I know a great deal but only because the major event was a world war and it was always in folks minds then but prosperity and peace do not encourage folks to look at much of what has gone before.  Also we did not spend time living in fear during the Cold War and most time was spent in indulging ourselves if we could.  Those under 30 have little requirement to look back over the previous 40 years as in their minds I suspect little happened and it would not be possible for them to understand the outlook of the times.  
I do Like 'Eggheads' when it is on, the questions are slow enough for me to consider an answer, while 'The Chase' has too many questions on 'TV culture' and is asked too quickly for my mind to answer these days.  Today I need time to ponder a question these days before I get it wrong.


  

6 comments:

Kay G. said...

Hey! I knew that answer was Henry II. Facts like that don't do me any good though. Love that mug! Glad you got rain too, the photos of your brown grass this summer makes me sad. Maybe you had more rains than other parts, looks lovely and green where you are.

the fly in the web said...

Being Aberdeen I'm surprised the class didn't include hints on how to swipe the lotion from the person who had just applied it to avoid paying for the heathen stuff.

Mike Smith said...

I do like a good quiz. Especially the Scottish ones.

Q) Name a fish beginning with 's'
A) Single

Lady Di Tn said...

It rained on my little red honda all the way home from picking up my son at the car rental place. Over a week ago he had a woman do an illegal left turn and the left from of his vehicle got smashed so her insurance had to provide him a rental. It rained so hard that instead of 70 miles an hour on the freeway we were doing 40 to 45. It was the first rain we had in weeks and even though it was heavy, I still was thankful to help our parched earth. The grass was brown and crunchy. Today we were blessed with a few more light showers and could use a few more to color up our world. Peace

Dave said...

Yes, thankfully the heat has gone and we now have traditional Welsh rain, I can handle that better. Eggs is a good show, and for me, on at the right time.

Adullamite said...

Kay, Henry II, never heard of him...

Fly, I see you have been to the Pittodrie Bar...

Mike, Are you in the pub now...?

Lady, Women drivers...

Dave, Ah Welsh rain, that will be there for a while.