Sunday 5 August 2018

A Quiet Wee Town.


This is indeed a quiet wee town, ideal for rearing small children and resting older folks.  Teens and twenties might feel aggrieved at the lack of enjoyment, hence the 'Boy racers,' high pregnancy rates and single mums, and a few wee neds in town centre.  It remains however quiet and safe.
This morning I safely cycled to St P's where I enjoyed a morning service while avoiding arguing with Vicar 2, indeed I only fell out with one woman which is near a record for me and that when helping dry the dishes which I need not have done.  Cycling back the quiet road, and most are quiet during this holiday period, I searched for nourishment, found a stream for the poor Aberdeen v Rangers game followed by the poorer Manchester City v poor Chelsea game, ate, snoozed and awaited the Hibernian v Motherwell game at six pm.
While this was going on I heard the police helicopter overhead.  It is easily recognisable as it circles around noisily while keeping an eye on some event way over there.  Busy with the games I took little notice.  Later I heard it back again but once more my attention was distracted by important issues, until half time that was, then I had a quick squint and forgot it.
It transpires the quiet wee town had seen a fire in a field in one part of the town, possibly deliberate possibly accidental, and an accident at a major turning possibly caused by the driver watching the smoke from the burning field rather than the road which has caused much blockage to traffic.   It transpires that a car knocked down a 'moped' rider in his 50's, 'moped probably means 'Scooter,' a 'Vespa' type I guess as lots have them around here during the summer. In fact the road was only opened at 8:30 pm so much police work there.  This required another helicopter, the ambulance version, which landed and collected at least one person.  
However the police helicopter was required to show itself once more as not far from me a police operation was underway with the usual plethora of police cars we normally never see and armed officers in attendance.  Someone it transpires had taken possession of a Crossbow, an instrument of death that I believe may be illegal to own, caused an 'affray' says the media and wandered across to the other side of town, near me, where the gentlemen of the law overtook him and asked him nicely to decease his affray, pass over his crossbow (and knife) and assist them with their enquiries.  More blocked roads, good job this is Sunday, more nosy people taking pictures for the local press, more flashing blue lights, more police saying nothing except the bare  minimum while we all follow facebook and Twitter to discover who the bad man was.  Oh yes and there have been sightings of Wallabies wandering the streets, owners unknown!
I think I may stay in tomorrow and do housework... 



4 comments:

the fly in the web said...

Wallabies in the streets! The place is going to the...marsupials? Time to move...
And I think you should desist from drying the dishes...it will save you from altercations with Amazons..

Adullamite said...

Fly, Where do all those police go during the week I ask?

the fly in the web said...

Sitting in the station trawling the internet for hate crimes

Adullamite said...

Fly, I wondered why they were outside....