Tuesday 16 January 2018

Work, Work, Work...


As I ambulated towards the museum this morning, not quite awake, it crossed my mind that it would be good to rest my eyes from the laptop.  Staring into this infernal machine leaves them strained in winter light and does them no good in the long term.  Happy was I then to sit and stare for an hour or so in the quiet of the museum.
Lies!  All lies!
To ruin my day I was asked to stare into the museum computer and search for pictures for the upcoming 'Cold War' exhibit.'  This meant scanning fotos already scanned of the nearby RAF base used by the US for many years.  The one major problem with these is the vast number that feature personnel, and important personnel at lunches, dinners, prizegivings.  It also appears few have names to go along with the faces!
Of course I suppose having to proof read a document and having Peggy arrive to do the same and find mistakes I had missed says something, but I will not say it, and that too interfered with damaging my eyes on the screen in front of me.
In between this people kept coming on the phone to book children onto half term events, while doing this the computer closed down and as I logged in I misread the password and closed it down altogether.  This required contact with IT somewhere in Essex to open it up again.
As I returned to work people came into the shop, after them folks visited the museum, then a call to book someone onto a future event and after all this I had killed the computer again!
After an icy stare or two I was instructed in the use of passwords and kicked in the shin in a loving manner and returned to my duties of not finding anything exciting to select.  The computer was still working when I left for home via Tesco.
There I was unlucky enough to miss a loud shouting match at the checkout, I got there too late after dithering over the types of oven chips on show.  I can smell them burning as we speak....

 


8 comments:

the fly in the web said...

Burning them is probably the best thing to do with oven chips...

Adullamite said...

Fly, We are not all cordon bleu chefs...

the fly in the web said...

Chips in this house are made as follows.

White spuds, not yellow or red.
Cut to regular sizes for even cooking.
Placed into boiing water and par boiled.
Strained. Spread out on a plate to cool and put in fridge for an hour or so.
Beef dripping heated to sizzle point in the fryer.
Chips cooked in batches until just looking a little crisp on the exterior.
Drained on kitchen towel, replaced on plate and put in fridge again for a few hours.
When the great moment arrives, beef dripping heated until looking like boiling oil and chips chucked in...cooked for less than a minute until golden, soft inside and crisp exterior.

Any modification of this system leads to a meltdown from Leo...

Adullamite said...

Fly, That sounds good. However mine are dumped on a suitable dish (and I bought the wrong ones this time) and shoved in the oven. They work but are not glorious...
Leo, fussy...?

the fly in the web said...

Fussy? No...Belgian, yes.

Adullamite said...

Fly, Ah, Belgian!

Lee said...

I am so far behind in catching up with blogs...sorry, Mr. Ad-Man!!

Adullamite said...

Lee, You have missed nothing!