Thursday 25 January 2018

The 25th.


The 25th of this month was always an easy one to remember as not only is today Robbie Burns birthday, and Scots everywhere eat Haggis, drink whisky and commemorate his immortal memory but it was also my sisters birthday. 
I had two sisters one of whom died early aged 56 of a nasty disease.  Today I was somewhat taken aback as her daughter posted on facebook her picture as this would have been her 70th birthday!
Several things combined here, the picture, which I had not seen before, in which she was looking good, and the idea that she would have reached 70 years combined to shock me somewhat.  This was unexpected and recalled the time she died and I travelled up to the funeral.  I went to the funeral directors alone confident that nothing about a body would bother me having seen a great many working in hospitals, however the sudden emotion of the moment shook me then as it did to a much lesser extent today.  In fact back then it took a day or so to get over, not so today.  
The memories do flood in, such as her idea of sending me a packet of cheese and onion crisps in a small A5 envelope "Just to see what would happen."  Or her irritating habit of calling or emailing me on Saturday evening to ask "Did you know Hearts got beat?" Knowing full well that I would know!
I often hear her when I use the phrase "What a load of rubbish," as this was one she often used, often near me.  Her daughter is much like her also, but less grumpy, like what I am...

2 comments:

the fly in the web said...

Brave woman, 'phoning you with that sort of news on a Saturday night! It must have been a shock to see her photograph on FB...bringing back all sorts of memories.

I can do the haggis and the whisky, but there's nae neeps here and the price of tatties is ridiculous!

Adullamite said...

Fly, She treated me badly say! Nae neeps here as they were too big tatties cheap!