Sunday 21 January 2018

Snow Sunday


The walk to and from St P's this morning was enlightened by snow which began as I went down the road and thickened happily as I made my way back via the green bits.  Now it lies thick and unsettles those poor car drivers who have to struggle around in it.  The traffic was queuing up as I came home but none offered me a lift of course.  Hard hearted lot!


I fear this man found it all a wee bit confusing. Rain and seawater he understood but snow was a puzzle to him.  He and his mate sat there staring into the distance looking askance at the snowfall.  I hope he is not still there as he might be covered by now. 


Why do we have seasons?  Why did the good Lord not even things out a bit so we had more warm days and no snow days at all?  Why do the weather patterns change?  Where I sit was where the last ice age stopped some 8ooo years BC and man and beast then followed the green stuff that arose after the ice left and settled down.  All that ice melted creating the North Sea and since then the world has continued with the four seasons and a wide variety of changeable weather.  The snow reminds me we were threatened with Global Warming not so very long ago, is this still a possibility?  
It appears remote today.  Weather patterns do change the Sahara contains rock carvings that reveal how the whole area was once covered in vegetation, including Hippos and Lions and so on, today it is somewhat more arid.  The Sahara still creeps south each year, slowly but surely, will it ever stop?
I am not one to complain but while I enjoyed the walk home I would find it irksome if I had this for months on end.  There again hot sun for months on end also would be too much also.  

   
I managed, after much struggle, to find the Heart of Midlothian Scottish cup tie against the wee Hibernian team and must say how much I enjoyed this.  Not only did we play all the football and win the game by one mere goal but the banter with Hibs fans afterwards was excellent, none of them speak to me now!  I have not enjoyed a game so much in years and was totally exhausted by the end.  Not long after half time I began to wonder if a defibrillator might be required!  Justice was done and the Heart of Midlothian remain the big team in Edinburgh, as we all know.  I didn't need to shout at the referee in anger either, that shows how well he ran the game, apart from siding with them too often of course.


Having been at church for an enjoyable service this morning and then in Tynecastle via the laptop with almost 20,000 others I feel lonely now.  This place appears so quiet with the occasional passing vehicle and raindrops bouncing around here and there sweeping away the snow and leaving puddles for the workers early tomorrow.  There is little on telly, other football appears tame in comparison, the radio is not worth listening to tonight and even the late night dog walkers are staying inside.
Silence is a strange thing after noise.

 
Only one brave soul, or possibly daft soul, crossed the park when I was here.  A young female looking for friends I suspect and finding no-one about soon returned from whence she came and disappeared into the blizzard.  No dog walkers were to be seen.




4 comments:

Lee said...

Weren't you taught never to accept lifts (or lollies) from strangers??

The walk did you good! :)

Adullamite said...

Lee, Only in the good weather.

Jenny Woolf said...

Despite the low light those are great pictures, I am in a nice warm room right now but feel quite cold looking at them. I am still suffering the aftermath of this darn bug, hope you havent got it, no energy and I am turning into a wimp about going outside the front door, at this rate I will end up as a hermit!

Adullamite said...

Jenny, Yes I'm afraid they do bring back the cold. The bug is a pain and I'm sorry to say keeps returning. I had a miserable year last year because of them but they do die eventually.