Sunday 11 December 2016

Dreich Night!


It was a dark and stormy night as I made my weary way homewards from another extra turn at the museum.  The rain pelted down, the wet streets enticing only for pictures of lamplight reflecting thereon.  All was closing for the night bar supermarkets and public houses.  I avoided the pubs but bought bread from Tesco, it was the cheap option.  


The vast sums spent on Christmas lights in the town was well worth it, there is a smattering of them to the top right off the picture.  Such lights have drawn out the crowds as you can see. 


Standing in the rain with two loaves of cheap 'Tiger Bread' in the bag I pondered on those who can afford to stay, eat, and be made welcome in the hotel.  What brings them here?  One at least is a one time resident on holiday visiting his past and his relatives, this is not uncommon, but who are the others?  There is little to see in the town but the Museum and the handsome welcoming staff (but only when I'm on) although many travel around Essex and discover there is indeed a lot to see and it is a county worth visiting, unlike the general impression of the place.



Being too wet to ponder I dripped home to enjoy a supper of cheese and bread with added indigestion.  Then watched football while my head looked for my brain which appears more dead than usual at the moment.  You will note how few cars were around last night at this time, how unusual is this?  Are they scared of the wet?



Back to work tomorrow as she who must be obeyed has a school in and no-one to help when they come into the shop, all 60 of them!  Guess who volunteered!



6 comments:

the fly in the web said...

Wonderful atmospheric photographs. That took me back to England in a way which nothing has done for years.
Not that I'm coming back, though...we have rain here...

Lee said...

Hahahaha! That's a funny cartoon!

Love your pics. :)

Jenny Woolf said...

Great pictures, full of atmosphere.I suppose the cars weren't there because people were driving places they would normally have walked, and nobody was visiting the folks in those houses. Well, you think of a better explanation!!! :)

Adullamite said...

Fly, The old buildings help, I should have tried B&W I think.

Lee, Good cartoon.

Jenny, I fail to disagree.

carol in cairns said...

Cheese and bread is a good supper 🍞🧀 ~ add some thin green apple slices 🍏Yum!

Adullamite said...

Carol, Now you make me hungry again.