Sunday 7 April 2024

Hot Water Bottle

 



These chilly Spring days mean I have a choice at night to either put the heating on for a while and increase British Gas or Eon's profits, or place a hot water bottle in my bed.  I choose the latter.  For some years now I have realised that a hot water bottle, a rubber one obviously, behind your back is the quickest and easiest way to heat the body and save cash.   
When young, we used stoneware bottles like the one in the picture, there were two in the house, of different types, but both could be heard throughout the area when they accidentally fell onto the floor, which was common.  The rubber one, I have two though one is hiding somewhere, which are sufficient to keep me warm sitting in bed in the evening, unless the temperature drops too far.
The past couple of days have seen a strong, very strong, wind coming from the south.  This brings warm air and sand from the Sahara region, which I am grateful for, not all like the sad however.  The nights have been warmer indeed, and today heading for Kirk I was fair blown along by the storm force winds. No sand blown in my face though.  it's always good to remember, old fashioned technology still works, is cheap, and does not break down requiring a 14 year old geek to fix, at high price.   
Maybe I ought to write this with my fountain pen or pencil, while listening to my phonograph, and check the sundial to see what the time is, better than trusting Microsoft.... 


 

2 comments:

the fly in the web said...

We still have a stone hot water bottle.....comes in very handy for sliding under a pillow to support a sore back!

Adullamite said...

Fly, Indeed! I wonder where ours went...?