Thursday 2 September 2021

Soup

I have just made soup.  As I walked away, leaving the pot steaming gently for a while, I browsed the catastrophe in the kitchen.  Where did all that lot come from?  How can such a small space contain so much mess?  The above cartoon, found on facebook today, came to mind.  'Cheney' sums up the mess left after an hour or two of me attempting something in a kitchen.  Lentils, tins of various beans, sauces and whatever else was lying around all get thrown in unceremoniously, and behind them lies a wake of empty, soiled tins, dishes, cutlery, empty unrecyclable plastic packets, and drops of various coloured stuff lying everywhere.  Where does it come from?  I was so sure I was being careful.  
Anyway, the mess is brewing behind me slowly, the actual soup mess I mean, the rest of the mess has been cleared away, and now I wish to lie down for an hour!  I met a young lad who belongs to the local Air Training Corps.  He wishes to join the army and become a cook, he must be mad!  That's all I can say.  It is bad enough cooking here, imagine what it is like out in the field, any field?  Tsk!
I suspect my soup will taste like all the others I have concocted, something similar to the mud so beloved of the 'our boys' in Flanders fields. 

3 comments:

the fly in the web said...

In my father's day a favourite offering of the army cooks was to pour porridge into a wide container, let it get cold, cut it into squares and fry them in bacon fat. He said you could get used to it.He also wondered where the bacon used to make the fat had gone....

Dave said...

Fridge soup, [whatevers left in it] is always a favourite here.

Adullamite said...

Fly, Porridge in bacon fat. No weight increase there...

Dave, Indeed, a great standby.