Sunday 16 September 2018

Sunday Snoozing


What started as a lazy day, I was too knackered to do anything, ended with eye strain looking at small writing on old newspapers looking for a milkman!  Not much happened until I foolishly got intrigued by a picture of an old milkman, the type who arrive on a small horse and cart, pour milk from a jug into your jug which you then store in a cool place, if you have one.  This is not something I remember as this died out after the war.  During the war evacuees in the country drinking milk straight from cows, via jugs that is, (From which side do you milk a cow? From the udder side!) were found to contract brucellosis and this brought in pasteurisation of milk and bottles were everywhere something which we all remember from school.  Well not those A.T. that is, After Thatcher!  She ended school milk as it cost money.  When in the top class at primary we had the task of delivering milk crates to classes, great fun especially in winter when the milk froze!   
Anyway I have done the job and passed on the papers.  Another great thing about the internet is the availability of s many things once locked away in libraries.  Great though these were they were often far away and cost too much to reach.  The British Newspaper Archive is expensive but very useful.  However some papers are not found there as yet and it is to be hoped many more will show up in the future.   


On top of that I came across other details from the distant past another may like so spent considerable time passing these on.  Of course I now realise most of them were passed on may months ago anyway...

I think I will return to reading Mr Smiths excellent book 'The Team for Me!'

4 comments:

the fly in the web said...

It is amazing how one can be led away...or astray...by research. This is how I have come to have been reading the memoirs of General Baron Marbot - free from Amazon, would you believe, in Kindle form - trying to track down a quote that eluded me a week ago...
Dogs, sheep, hens, ducks and people would prefer that I researched into providing their food on time...

Adullamite said...

Fly, I can hear the dogs, ducks and sheep from here!

Jenny Woolf said...

I don't ever remember a milkman with a cart but I do remember that early morning sound (which occasionally woke me up) of a quiet little electric motor and the clinking of bottles. I miss it actually. Although some people do have milk delivery services still.

Adullamite said...

Jenny, Rare milk lorry around here these days.