Tuesday 26 December 2017

Boxing Day


Boxing Day is a day for actually looking at the gifts that have flooded through the letterbox.
My family are beginning to understand the best way to make progress is to send books or a book token, this is what they have done.  For reasons that remain unclear two of my nieces appear to think smelly stuff is a requirement that goes with book reading.  
One niece, her opinion of me is noted in the 'Mr Grumpy' stuff at the front, sent a Levi shirt, this made possible by her new job in one big Edinburgh department store where the staff concessions make up for low wages (she says).  The other continued her unspoken hints (recent gifts have included  the 'Oldie' annual and 'The Real Dad's Army' amongst others, and she added some 'Old Spice' to the book she sent.
Next year I may go up there and see if they can alter their opinion.  
Well actually now I think about it....    


As always there was fifty channels on the TV showing nothing at all.  I did however spend a little time watching the Beatles in 'A Hard Days Night,' a film that still provides good music and was enjoyable in the background while I scrambled together something for lunch.  
Otherwise there was the usual films and old series filling the screen, the non news that occurs at this time of year with one or two tragedies thrown in, and even worse no football to watch!  Only English games of little worth and I just could not be bothered struggling to find them.
Nothing to do bar send thank you notes by email and search social media for something other than political comments.  These could be avoided on Boxing Day, indeed all week but once they are posted a desire to reply appears.  
I did however rush up unwillingly to Sainsburys, the only supermarket open (I think they take it in turns to cover Boxing Day) for milk and bread as tomorrow the rain that is now falling hard will continue all day.  On top of this the temperature will drop and winds increase so I will hide away with my books and the heater.
And so to bed...



5 comments:

the fly in the web said...

The television only arrived in our house when my father discovered that he could watch the failure of his five horse accumulators on it...mother remains addicted to this day, so luckily I called her before the King George VI Stakes at Kempton Park took place otherwise I should have had a dusty reception.
No Boxing Day here, so Danilo arrived for work, eager to recover from a house full of over excited grandchildren, and plunged us into a programme of work which he had been contemplating while wearing ear plugs for the last two days.
I rather like 'misery is a sign of intelligence'....but what Scot worthy of the name would use conditioner I ask myself. No wonder they combine it with shampoo to enfeeble the race...
That marmalade looks rather enticing...

Adullamite said...

Fly, So keen is Danio to work, or is it just because of the kids? Sensible man!

the fly in the web said...

The kids!

Lee said...

The joys of Netflix, Stan and Foztel Now...I've been bingeing on streaming series of choice. I'm loving "Boardwalk Empire"...and am now on the final season. I'll be having withdrawals when it's at an end. A wonderful series....

Adullamite said...

Fly, Sensible man!

Lee, Yuk! All these things offer exactly what I wish to avoid and they wish to charge me money for them.