All day Friday we had a study day. The museum now requires to place all the stock onto digital photos so that we can show them online, cover insurance and just keep a record of the item. So a group of us were tutored by Sarah an excellent professional at this sort of thing and excellent photographer and a great deal was learned. Naturally she exposed my lack of understanding of this computer controlled camera, my lack of knowledge and several other faults - then we began.
Sarah began by making us use things on the camera some of us had never known about, even the wee cameras were full of tricks. Naturally I had heard of all these things mentioned years ago but had never used them, white Balance, metering mode, ISO and such things but in the days of twisting lenses and twiddling knobs it was all different and I rarely made use of what little I thought I knew, and it showed. However computerising everything is easier when you remember what to do and when to do it. All to often this means hitting the Auto button! We all had such fun wondering what was going on and attempting to find the items she indicated on the cameras. As we had several different types of various ages and various makes there was some confused expressions as we pressed buttons and let out exclamations. The most used one was 'HELP!' All her info and advice sounded so easy but was not so easy to put into practice especially when you take regard for the motley collection struggling to get the brain in gear.
It was an instructive time and after we had cooled down and walked around to clear our heads we did the practical side of things. When we came to actually photographing different types of items we saw the problems writ large. This beast here looks OK in this picture, it reveals the shape but the colour is very different from the original. This would not do for recording purposes. None of the seven or eight pictures gave proper rendition of the colour. The white background was worse making the object merely black! The white balance trick, the spot metering trick and pressing the wrong button trick were all tried and but failed to give satisfaction.
The coin was a laugh, for the others! I could not get the Macro to work on my camera, the two girls did with no problems and that is Sarah's effort with the coin. Their cameras worked well, not mine, bah! When I did get the Macro to work my hand shook, possibly with rage, and the effort was worthless. It did however show the difficulties of the simple job of photographing objects for museum purposes.
We learned a great deal from this and once we find suitable undiscovered space we can start taking the photos. We ought to have completed the job by 2150! I spent ages attempting to picture the mirror without any reflections. Naturally the thing looks blank without a reflection so I had to find one. I don't think I would spend cash on this myself judging by that photo.
An enjoyable day even though I felt rotten early on as the bug was bugging me but I managed to stay awake long enough to see out the day. I have therefore spent today lounging around hiding away from the world and also the sunshine which has shown up again today. How nice to have nothing that must be done today, not even a blog, er, oops .