Thursday 6 February 2014

Per Adva ad Astra Mush




"Smooth runs the water where the brook is deep." 
Suffolk King Henry the Sixth, Part Two.


    
WISDOM FROM 
FLIGHT TRAINING MANUALS


'If the enemy is in range, so are you.' 
-Infantry Journal-
 
 'It is generally inadvisable to eject directly 
over the area you just bombed.'
- US.Air Force Manual -


'Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword 
obviously never encountered automatic weapons.' 
- General Douglas MacArthur - 


 
'Tracers work both ways.' 
- Army Ordnance Manual- 


 
'Five second fuses last about three seconds.' 
- Infantry Journal -

 
'Any ship can be a minesweeper.  
Once.' 
- Naval Ops Manual  - 


 
'Never tell the Platoon Sergeant you have nothing to do.' - Unknown Infantry  Recruit


 
'If you see a bomb technician running, 
try to keep up with him.'
- Infantry Journal-

 
'Yea, Though I Fly Through the  Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No  Evil. 
For I am at 70,000 Feet and  Climbing.' 
- Sign over SR71 Wing  Ops-


 
'The only time you have too  much fuel is 
when you're on fire.' 
-Unknown  Author-


 
'When one engine fails on a twin-engine airplane,
you always have enough power left to 
 get you to the scene of the crash.' 
-Multi-Engine Training Manual-


 
'Without ammunition, the Air  Force is just 
an expensive flying  club.'
-Unknown  Author-


 
'If you hear me yell; "Eject, Eject, Eject!” 
the last two will be echoes.' 
If you  stop to ask "Why?", you'll be talking to yourself, because by then you'll be the pilot.'
-Pre-flight Briefing from  a Canadian F104 Pilot-



  'What is the similarity between air traffic 
controllers and pilots? If a pilot screws up, the pilot  dies; 
but If ATC screws up... the  pilot dies.
-Sign over Control Tower  Door-

 
'Never trade luck for skill.' 
-Author  Unknown-


 
The three most common expressions 
(or famous last words) in military aviation are: 
'Did you feel that? 
What's that noise? 
and 'Oh  S...!' 
-Authors  Unknown-


 
'Airspeed, Altitude and  Brains. Two are always 
needed to  successfully complete the flight.' 
-Basic Flight Training  Manual-


 
'Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a  person on the ground incapable of 
understanding or doing anything about  it.'
  • Emergency  Checklist--

·        
'You know that your landing gear is up and locked 
when it takes full power to taxi to the  terminal.' 
- Lead-in Fighter Training  Manual -


 
As the test pilot climbs out of the experimental aircraft, having torn off the wings and tail in the crash landing, 
the crash truck  arrives. 
The rescuer sees the  bloodied pilot 
and asks, 'What happened?' The pilot's reply: 'I don't  know,
I just got here myself!'  






 .

5 comments:

Lee said...

I won't go by ship because of the "Titanic"; now I won't ever board a plane again after this!

My little "Lady" or walking will have to suffice! "Lady" it will be, in that case! I have to unhitch her shortly to head off to the supermarket. It's just as well I read this because I was thinking of taking the jet!

the fly in the web said...

My mother's mother used to say sourly that 'those things' might well go up...but they could also come down....and I don't think she meant a normal landing.

Kay G. said...

The next time that I fly, I think I will have a few drinks to make me forget the quotes on this post!

Carol said...

When we were kids, my Mum refused to fly. For so many years she would not fly, and then for some reason she had to fly to go to a thing she was going to. She told me last time I spoke to her, that she thinks now that is the only way she can travel in her aging years, because train journeys take too long. All very amusing to me personally. I haven't flown for a few years now. I used to fly all the time. But I just hate the feeling of being a sardine as they pack more and more passengers into narrower seats. I guess that is the beauty of the UK is your rail system ~ and the size of your country.

Adullamite said...

Lee, Why am I not surprised to find you have a private jet....?

Fly, Lots of them do come down, especially in the past.
I think I will use the bike instead.....

Kay, When you fly I will remind you of these.....!

Carol, The sardine feeling is the worst effect.