Tuesday 11 February 2014

O Happy Day!




What a strange feeling, coming home early from the museum, after indeed a very quiet morning, and finding I had all the time in the world to myself! Having 'worked,' three days last week there was no time to sit and stare dreamily into space study, research and cogitate on the world around me.  There were a few queries, some visitors and one or two wee jobs to do but generally it was a quiet morning for me.  With the landlord's lass arriving to check the boilers as they do once a year I wished to be here when she and the plumber were busy. The aim of this was not to check the job was done correctly, it always is, but to ensure she did not notice the bits I have allowed to fall into disrepair!  I did not wish to hear grumbles, I canny stand folks who complain! However offering her tea, from my only clean cup, and noticing the plumber refusing this offer, he had one last year I reckon, this tea and chat stopped her looking around.  Why she comes must be to check as the plumber is trustworthy enough in my view, but I suspect some folks think this wise.  I was informed the folks next door are leaving, this is good as they have not been bad but have not been too sociable either, too young to relate to others.  Hopefully someone decent can afford to move in now.  

So once they left I was sitting at the laptop working out what on my 'to do' list to ignore first. The answer was easy, with all this free time on my hands I had no choice but to fall asleep for a while, and jolly good it was too!  How on earth did I ever get things done when I was working 35 hours a week?   What with work, shopping, sleeping, cooking, eating and whatever else came up I cannot understand how I got through so much with so little time.  Now I have time I do so little! Some ex-managers may make a comment here .....


The weather continues to disappoint.  Floods ruin houses of the rich and the poor, blame is passed from hither to thither, welly clad politicians pose amongst the suffering, Cameron promising to help and to spend money.  We shall see, and we shall wonder where it shall be spent.  The cynics already claim the Tory heartlands will benefit, not Somerset and the like!  We shall see.  Politicians talk but can do nothing about the weather, all seem unable to identify an honest appraisal of the situation, those that do keep quiet about it.  Another week of this is promised, high winds blasting rain again tomorrow, what is going through the minds of those already two foot deep in water I wonder?  Poor things, the immediate effect will last for several long weeks, the long term affect will never end for many.  


.

3 comments:

Lee said...

I was just about to say you could come out from that room you'd locked yourself in, Adullamite...but you came out on your own accord!

The floods being experienced in parts of the UK at present certainly are devastating. Some poor souls who are affected by such disasters never do recover fully...mentally or physically/materially. And I can understand that.

Carol said...

Thought you might like this blog post that I came across today A-man. http://janeyoung.me.uk/2014/02/11/wealthy-country-money-no-object/
Interesting to read the post and the comments. It is very sad that this is the case in your country.
Some say that class warfare does not exist here in Australia, but that is not true. It is just more subtle. We pride ourselves on being an egalitarian society, but there are still the haves and have nots.

Adullamite said...

Lee, The floods have devastated many.

Carol, So very true and I wish I had written this. Cameron claims we have money only when it suits.
He does however often make claims, none of which actually come to fruition. Even his people may suffer, George has the purse strings.