Friday 27 April 2012

I Have Nothing to Say



It's one of those weeks. The things that have impressed themselves on my mind, the museum, dead soldiers, Rangers men lying in their teeth, and our corrupt government have not been the stuff to raise laughs or interest those in far flung places such as Texas or Dalkeith.  No sir my scrawls have gained little attention and on top of this the rain keeps coming down.  The weather is of course a talking point in the UK.  With the vast Atlantic on one side and the continent on the other weather patterns vary considerably.  Left over US hurricanes lash our western coast and drop rain everywhere while snowdrifts from the Arctic arrive via Siberia from the east.  This leaves a lush, green landscape in which crops can happily grow.  However it can also depress those who spend several days at a time with raindrops falling on their heads.  Gray skies do not bring smiles, although in the UK blue ones don't do that either.  Walking into a closed glass door however can bring a smile to those standing nearby!  It has been known for the wind (The Mistral?) to blow north from the Sahara to arrive in the south of England on occasion.  While it deposits vast amounts of sand grains in the southern aspect of Spanish homes, while leaving the north grit free but chilled, rarely does the dust come this far.  It does however bring a welcome warmth, we miss it at the moment.  What is arriving, whether from west or south, is Atlantic rain!  Tons of it is falling, a months supply at a time, and the plucky Brit is doing what he does on such occasions, he grumbles!  Of course while the rain is indeed heavier and more persistent than usual it is Springtime and this weather occurs every Springtime to some extent.   The plucky Brit of course has forgotten this and merely whines about how bad it is, global warming, ice age, and the Labour Party's fault!  Unless we have to the answer is to stay indoors unless the sun shines, but that would lead to folks complaining about being trapped I suppose.

Not being one to complain, or indeed to blow my own trumpet,  and I remarked as much this morning in Tesco's where the lass made a comment about kids behaviour.  "I wasn't perfect," she claimed, "But they are so bad today." I took the opportunity to remind her I had been perfect as a child, and her story changed. "So was I," she lied!  The young woman following on suddenly woke up to add, "That makes three of us."  I decided I was in a store full of gloating maniacs and left before anyone else joined in.  But is it true?  Are kids really worse today than 30, 60 or 100 years ago?  I doubt it.  Human nature doesn't change and certainly not in that time.  Culture does, discipline does, and we live in liberal times where freedom easily becomes licence. Personal freedom is more important than other people, and consideration for them lessens from parent to child.  However all is not lost and never indeed was in danger of being lost.  People were just as bad in the past, two major wars, a depression and less wealth all round covered up selfishness and human sin.  Things are more open today, exaggerated by tabloid press, and the good that has always been done by all manner of people still continues.  However that said all brats should be locked in school 24 hours a day, seven days a week in my view!

The museum has a Victorian classroom, a very good practical idea in my mind, that educates the brats on past teaching methods.  Dressed accordingly, but with shoes not worn by kids in the past, they learn the highly disciplined schooling of the mid Victorian times.  I thought of this yesterday while attending a meeting to discuss a new layout for the museum.  Surrounded by knowledgeable people who knew their subject i was a bit out of place, but opened the gob anyway, and found truly I was out of place.  After a morning discussion I confess to still not being sure of what has been decided, my lack of concentration, the debate, and many suggestions means I await the next news.  The Victorian times do interest me.  Vast changes in western society, influencing the entire world, mass movement of people, railways, leading to industrial development, increasing wealth, and indeed leisure times.  They are so near to us it is possible to identify with Victorians in a way we cannot with those of previous centuries, they were too different in every way.  Our towns are still based much on Victorian development, as is the rail system and much else.  Prices have changed somewhat mind!  It's a very interesting period and I would like a time machine to go back there for a look around, although taking all the medicine I require with me of course!

 I did however discover a wonderful thing today.  The old telly, no longer used since the 'analog' was replaced by 'digital' signal, does in fact play the videos that are stacked around here.  This is good as there is many wonderful programmes available, much better than the junk now filling TV.  I was beginning to wonder if I would ever get use of them again.  I remain content with small results.  Great events shake me not!  Who said cheapskate.....?  

Of course much of my time has been taken up on newspaper sites adding pertinent comments on the Rangers FC situation.  This club, sectarian to make money, arrogant and offhand to the rest, has been discovered fiddling the taxes, around £49 million, and this added to failing further tax by fiddling the way they paid players doubling the money owed by the 'loyalists' to the queen they sing about each week.  The abuse, the threats and the refusal to accept blame has risen to a level that would embarrass residents in Barlinnie Prison.  Pleading a 'special case' because '"It's us," appears to be the theme.  I am happy to report few attempt to justify their behaviour on the comments, almost all condemn them.  It is the club that whines and bleats in a shameful manner, blaming this one and that but never admitting their fault.  Regrettably  the more they speak out the more I hope for their demise.  An altogether terrible situation all of their own making.

Not much to laugh about, although I did laugh at Rangers, saw humour aplenty amongst the volunteers at the museum, laughed at folks blogs, where intended I mean, and am within myself beaming these days.  Have I been drinking......?


.   

8 comments:

Jenny Woolf said...

I don't think kids are any different now from what they were. In some ways they are more thoughtful and considerate because trained to be, and also less aggressive, also because of training. I think a lot of it is about how in tune we feel with the prevailing ideas because the kids behaviour reflects that.

alan1704 said...

I remember my Dad bringing home our first colour TV and the excitement it caused. Can't help but think that losing analogue is a step backwards, everyone once could receive the signal, now you have to subscribe to get anything decent. They call that progress!!!

red dirt girl said...

Oh dear, Texas DOES find your posts interesting and at times amusing as well. I always try to swing by and see what you posted even if I don't leave a comment. But this week has been ... URGHH!! Soubry has left; busy retail season anew with Mother's Day, graduations, and confirmations in the month of May, and my head is a-spinnin'! I confess I don't keep up with politics, and generally I get my news from Soub ... hmmm - probably not an unbiased source, eh? :)

Keep writing. Texas does care!
xxx

Adullamite said...

Jenny, I suppose it depends on where you live to some extent.

Mametz, Luckily I watch so little these days. 40 channels of pap don't appeal.

RDG, Soub biased.....?

Relax Max said...

You may have started out with nothing to say, but once you got started, it was just fine. :)

I didn't understand quite all of it, but it was much more than nothing. Museums and dead soldiers I understood right away. Some soccer team lying in their teeth I didn't get. Perhaps you meant the cutting down of trees folk were lying. Your amateur corrupt government people are not so interesting to Americans who have truly professional corrupt politicians. Yet I do sympathize as best as I can. Unless you are talking about that Osborne guy. Osbornes don't lie.

That's only the first paragraph, so you did have something to say. The only think lacking that I could see would have been a closer view of Rupert's eyes.

Unknown said...

The British government taxes fiddles? I wonder how our bunch of hooligans on Capitol Hill has missed out on this? Of course, since I have never fiddled around all that much, the tax may have been too small to notice. I have, after all, lots to keep track of, you know.

Adullamite said...

Max, I thought I said little.......
Osbornes don't lie? They do when they are reared in the aristocracy. It goes with the position.

Jerry, This lot tax fiddles expertly!

Mike Smith said...

Sorry, Mr H - difficult times for this auld yin at the moment so my trawl through the blogosphere has been limited of late. But your musings are always worthwhile.