Friday 1 July 2011

1st July 1916



.
On the first day of July in the year 1916, after several days of heavy bombardment British troops advanced over open ground to attack the German defences on the Somme. A million and a half shells had fallen, their intention to break the wire and damage the defences clearing the way for the men following. The wire was rarely broken, the shells badly made and difficult to set were also of the wrong type for the job. Howitzers were insufficient in numbers but effective in damaging dugouts but as most of these were 40 or so feet underground this was to prove an impossible job with so few.


At 7:28 several mines were blown along the line, however Jerry knew this would happen as foolishly one was blown at 7:20 at Hawthorn Ridge and gave warning the attack was about to commence. At 7:30 officers whistles blew along mile after mile of trench and the British attacking force climbed out of their trenches into a hail of machine gun, rifle and artillery fire. Within minutes thousands lay dead, dying or wounded, many having failed to clear their own parapet or make it through their own defensive wire. Only in the southern section of the line was a clear advance made, elsewhere determined attackers continued, heads bowed as though facing heavy rain and not bullets, and a few gains were made in the enemy line. 


McCrae's Battalion, the 16th Royal Scots, along with their sister battalion the 15th, plus the Cambridge and the Grimsby Chums, remnants though they were, fought on in an attempt to keep hold of their part of the line. Defying flame throwers and repeated heavy counter attacks they succeeded, a few continuing and even making it to their final destination at Contalmaison, where they found themselves outnumbered and soon were made prisoner.   


Around 60,000 British men became casualties, approximately 20,000 were dead. 


General Haig had strongly opposed the idea of fighting in such an impossible theatre as the Somme region but had been overruled by London. "Do as the French say," was the command, in spite of the military opposition. The same had occurred a year earlier at Loos when Sir John French had been forced to fight there against his wishes. That too was needlessly costly. Blame is easy to offer, especially from this distance and the book 'First Day on the Somme' by Martin Middlebrook is the place to begin when researching what actually happened that day. This book is regarded as a 'classic' of its type and comes well recommended. 
        


                     


An official cameraman was on hand to record the 'Big Push' and the Imperial War Museum has made this film available, excerpts of which are online. I have this video and while it is of course a silent movie it nevertheless conveys something of the attitudes of the day. When shown in cinemas later in the year women would faint, men weep, and occasionally one would cry out in recognition of an individual. Unlike today that generation had no idea of front line reporting and many refused to believe the tales told by returning soldiers. It is not difficult to understand why the United Kingdom became a very different place after 1918, society changed in a way unimaginable in 1914, and we do well to ponder how this war, and this battle in particular, has an effect on us even today. 


Some soldiers asked whether the losses were worth it, and it is difficult not to sympathise with them.  However had we not fought the French would have been defeated and we would have a Germany dominating Europe, and this would have caused a war between Britain and Germany sooner or later in any case.  That would have been a more difficult fight for us had that been the case. In that way it was worth it, however with 750,000 dead British troops, plus the 'Empire forces of India, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the rest losing another 250,000, plus about three times as many wounded it is hard to comprehend today whether this really was a war worth fighting. 


The last fighting men have gone now, only a few relatives and their memories remain. As I research the names on the local war memorial I am surprised by how difficult it is to find a record of many of them online. Not being a native of this town  doesn't help, as does not having the money to pay for research, yet I am still surprised how quickly these men have been forgotten.  Their houses have often been swept away, their relatives move on, and later generations are too involved in life today to remember them. Village memorials do not gather large crowds on Armistice Day each November as the village has been taken over by incomers and the families of the day have often gone into towns and cities for a better life. Few now remember those named on the memorial, even those from a later war. That all seems rather sad to me. 

.

3 comments:

soubriquet said...

If You Want to Find the Sergeant Major

If you want to find the sergeant,
I know where he is, I know where he is.
If you want to find the sergeant,
I know where he is,
He's lying on the canteen floor,
I've seen him, I've seen him,
Lying on the canteen floor,
I've seen him,
Lying on the canteen floor.

If you want to find the quarter-bloke,
I know where he is, I know where he is.
If you want to find the quarter-bloke,
I know where he is,
He's miles and miles behind the line,
I've seen him, I've seen him,
Miles and miles behind the line,
I've seen him,
Miles and miles and miles behind the line.

If you want to find the sergeant-major
I know where he is, I know where he is.
If you want to find the sergeant-major
I know where he is,
He's boozing up the private's rum.
I've seen him, I've seen him,
Boozing up the private's rum.
I've seen him,
Boozing up the private's rum.

If you want to find the CO,
I know where he is, I know where he is.
If you want to find the CO,
I know where he is,
He's down in the deep dug-outs.
I've seen him, I've seen him,
Down in the deep dug-outs
I've seen him,
Down in the deep dug-outs.

If you want to find the old battalion,
I know where they are, I know where they are.
If you want to find the old battalion,
I know where they are,
They're hanging on the old barbed wire.
I've seen 'em, I've seen 'em,
Hanging on the old barbed wire,
I've seen 'em, I've seen 'em,
Hanging on the old barbed wire.

Relax Max said...

Of course it was worth it. It is an insult to the dead to think otherwise. It doesn't matter if people today remember how or why, or even who; those men still changed history and preserved a way of life for people who don't remember them.

Anonymous said...

The best tribute to the fallen is to work for peace and try to ensure we don't have wars - particularly unnecessary ones that the USA and the UK seem very adept at getting themselves involved in.