Saturday 5 October 2024

Saturday: A Wasted Life


I've just been watching Burnley v Preston, it was the best sleep I have had for some time!  What a waste of grass this was.   Preston falling down to waste time from the start, Burnley too keen to help them fall down.  A stramash here, a stramash there, little football.  Only one goal I noticed and that was declared wrongly as 'offside.'  You tend not to expect the linesman to know the offside law.
Now I am watching the results appear on the screen, every so often they change, 1-0becomes 2-0 or 1-1, and what we see on the screen does not match the emotions being expressed in countless football grounds around the world today.  Especially those grounds where wind and rain may be 'aiding' the flow of the game.  
Kicks and bumps abound, men rolling around on the ground holding their bits, some frantically running, other swaggering about, an occasional goalkeeper looking to the skies wondering how that happened, and the fans, how the fans enjoy the game!  Several thousand wondering why that dumb Hibernian player dived in the box when he was already on a yellow?  Off he goes as the ref waves a red card at him, swiftly followed by their opponents scoring a second goal!  The crowd roar, some in anguish.  Fingers are pointed at one end while arms are raised high at the other.  It was ever thus.
Soon there will be handshakes and a degree of professional forgiveness.  Players will warm down, fans will warm up in the local pubs, others head for home whether near or far.  
Others sit at home watching on the screen, like me.


I began the day slowly, not wishing to visit Tesco again I wandered through the not very busy marketplace.  Nothing much to report and then I accidentally fell into Tesco itself.  Thus I obtained the things I forgot or could not carry yesterday, and hobbled home for lunch.   
The sun shone, the air remained chilled, I was glad to be indoors until this afternoon when I realised it was warmer outside than in!  I opened the windows to warm up and found that chilly air waiting for me.  How come?  
Nothing for it but football and early bed, to watch more football or fall asleep again.  
My taxi is booked for tomorrow, this lift is becoming a habit and making me feel guilty.  Soon, but not yet, I will have to stop this, or pay the fares!

Blackfriars Bridge by Henry Cundell 1844
  

No comments: