Saturday 17 November 2018

The LIghts are Coming On.


The needs of commerce are many what with the Brexit confusion ahead and online shopping hurting the bare High Streets any excuse to make money is required.  Tonight as dusk was well under way I slogged up the road in a vain attempt to capture light, cheer and photographs.
I got crowds and darkness.


While the world continued on its pleasant way the crowds were gathering in front of the stage where the local radio station ran what it called 'entertainment.'  The local radio station is not Radio 3 I need not add.


The throng were riddled with those in Santa hats while Santa himself, hiding behind the main stage, spoke to his helpers giving instructions on how the young girls in thin costumes ought to behave during the act.  A shot of the 'English Whisky,' wisely on sale under another name, would have been beneficial for he girls, even if none of them had yet reached secondary school, they looked that cold. 


I have no idea how these sticks work but vast numbers of kids were carrying them around and the salesmen were making a good profit from them.  I suspect the many variety of food stalls were also making a good profit as they were crammed most of the day I heard one tell his mate.  These have been coming for a while now and clearly know how to get cash from poor people.  They got none from me when I saw their prices...

  
I thought at first this armour had someone inside but it appears it is just standing there advertising.
Standing there was what many folk were doing thus making progress through the concourse difficult.  I have seen better behaved football crowds but they were not full of women with pushchairs! 

 
What are they?  I have absolutely no idea but there were lots of them around.


One thing I used to enjoy when a kid was riding on these roundabouts.  The nature of the vehicles aboard fascinated me than and does still now.  I never noticed the price but I fancy it wasn't 6d like it used to be.


On the way home I passed the catholic church which for reasons of its own has services on Saturday night, possibly to keep the priests out of the pubs I suspect.  They finish in time for 'Match of the Day.'  I love the window but it is only at night when the building is in use that we see just how good it is.  Built in the 30's I think.
I suppose the Christmas lights have come on now...

4 comments:

the fly in the web said...

I have just encountered the 'German' Christmas fair in Southampton complete with Santa and reindeer flying overhead...
Such a collection of overpriced tat with very little custom, yet the nearest shopping centres have spent a fortune to attract this rubbish.

Mark you, the roundabout, which is a permanent fixture, had its cargo of happy kids. Had there been a suitably robust ride I would have felt like joining in.

Jenny Woolf said...

I am all for these events, it brings people into the town and gives a lot of them a good time, although it's not necessarily my cup of tea! Your pictures were full of atmosphere.

Adullamite said...

Fly, The Germans go in for Xmas in a big way. I'm not sure how much we spent but last years was a failure.
Jenny, Yes if you have young kids it's great. Otherwise it is just a crowd.y

gz said...

(O)