Saturday 19 May 2018

Evening Volunteer Awards


Friday saw me dragged away from my bed to attend the Museum Volunteer Oscars once again.
Here gathered in a crowd of mingling beauties I attended wearing my best funeral/wedding/important date suit, I even cleaned my shoes.
Looking around it was at first difficult to identify people the scrubbing and dressing disguising folks in plain sight.  I have never noticed one of two of them were actually women before last night.  There again that might have been the imitation champagne on offer.  
Speeches were made, flannel was offered, and individuals praised for their contribution and photographs taken (by me).  One read her poem, prepared well in advance, another her imitation poem (prepared by the previous poet as she has talent) and one or two other stuttered when paraded in front of the audience.
Naturally I was presented with an award for something, I was discussing with another when this was announced and still don't know what it was for, but I received it graciously and placed it with all my other award.  

   
Clutching the Oscars the congregation gathered around the chocolate cake on offer for the managers "cough" 30th birthday.  Here silence almost reigned as the guzzling became more important than gossip, something not unusual among such women I note, chocolate being guzzled quite often during the week...
In the cool of the day, well night, we headed home laden with prize and content that we the volunteers were important to the museum and as I happened to point out the museum would not work without us!
The volunteers agreed...

3 comments:

the fly in the web said...

I suspect your award was for being the invisible man of the museum...always clever enough to be behind and not in front of the camera.

Kay G. said...

The volunteers agreed...
Let the volunteers not be there and those in authority would appreciate you very much indeed!

Adullamite said...

Fly, I'm stupid, not daft.

Kay, The volunteers agree.