Tuesday 8 May 2018

Earworms and Books



Each morning I wake, look out at the clear blue sky (no really) and find my head filled with music I do not wish to hear.  There has been a selection of appalling tunes that have wandered through my head for a while before I can get something musical into the head.
Bing Crosby crooning one morning, Sousa marches the next.  I have endured bland inconsequential pop music that I have had no idea I knew, even Irish rebel songs stuck there for hours one day.  Now I can accept Van Morrison repeating the same line over and over but I am not putting up with 'Buck Fizz' under any circumstances!  
If only there was a way of fixing it that certain tunes and melodies would fill the head when empty rather having rotten dross take over the space between the ears, and you see how big that is.  I look for one of these old systems we used to have on gramophones that dropped the next record onto the pile and played what you wished rather than what is given.  I suspect this is a problem that will not go away.
I note that walking up the street at various speeds (slow, slower) then music in the head fits the speed.  Possibly this is why I am so slow at walking?  Maybe a bit of Beethoven or AC/DC would speed me up?  I do not however wish for tunes to fit while shopping in Tesco, that would be unwise.

  
This card makes sense to me.  The writer missed out charity shops, remainder bookshops and anywhere else books are on sale.  The only disappointment is when they are all junk books, you know the women's books that no man would read, the famous authors that are not as good as they are made out, the books that win trophy's that are junk, all that can be ignored.
However it is fascinating to search a large second hand bookshop, always the best if you can find one, when you find a book long forgotten but always desired.  A book read years before or concerning someone or something that connects with you that has not be wither known to exist or extremely rare.  It helps if it is cheap also.
I think I may seek a bookshop tomorrow...


4 comments:

the fly in the web said...

I used to rely on Better World Books, but they have, while retaining the free shipping, doubled the price of the books, which is a bit of a blow.
I haunt charity shops and secondhand book shops when in the U.K., though have to leave most of the books behind for mother's friends thanks to the totally inadequate baggage regulations on aircraft. Books here are expensive, just as in France, so it is with delight that I see that a public library has just opened in the local town....
In despair I have tried Amazon, though reading a book on a computer screen or on a tablet is a pain...but they do have some interesting stuff. I have just bought Baron Marbot's memoirs of the Napoleonic wars...three volumes for 99p.

Earworms are so unpredictable,aren't they...where on earth did I hear 'Vindaloo' and why should it pop up, taking me unawares...

Adullamite said...

Fly, A poor postal service can be a drawback when seeking books. Glad a library has arrived.

Jenny Woolf said...

Tunes sometimes fill my mind when I'm dreaming. Unless I realise I'm dreaming, I am therefore stuck with them all night,or that is what it feels like, and they're in my mind when I awake in the morning too.

Adullamite said...

Jenny, Something has to fill the space in the mind. I awoke to the Rolling Stones singing the Blues this morning!